Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Power supply for a PIC programmer cct.

Status
Not open for further replies.

furqankaimkhani

Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I saw a ckt of a PIC and EEprom programmer on circuits-projects.com. It needs 5 volts to run.
I have heard that a programmer requires too much current.
I wish to make a small power supply section for that programmer.
Right now, i wish to use a small DC adaptor power supply. But the Adaptor gives about 12 volts. If i put a 7805, I am curiouse that will it provide enough current for the programmer ckt.

Please help!

Hi,

It depends on the programmer you are using - you do not give any details of the one you are looking at.

Generally programmers will use around 20-30ma at 5v dc, some also use +12v as well, again only a few ma.

A 7805 is a 1000ma device so think it will just manage :grin:

Perhaps if you say which Micro family your are trying to program and what pc ports you have, we can advise if there is anything better.

Hi, yes a 7805 will be able to handle the current when programming any of the pic controllers.

MN

i found this pic programmer's schematic from circuits-projects.com. I have not complete complete information of what it is and how it works. I saw a comment there that its probably a JDM programmer. I am a learning student of electronics.:oops:

Hi,

You still have not given the full link to the programmers you have found so its difficult to comment.

There are three basic types of DIY Pic programmers, all covered extensively in this forum, just search.
1. the JDM family - serial port
2. the PICALL type - parallel port
3. the PICKIT2 clones - USB port.

3. the Pickit2 clone works fine- it uses Microchips design and software, but needs its pic chip programming to work.
2. the Picall type generally work well with the common 16F chips.
1. the JDMs work for some folk but a nightmare for others.

1 and 2 are effectively obselete methods - 3 is the way to go if you are serious about Pics.

Thank you very much for responding. I am starting to get better understanding about programmer now.
below is the complete link to that page. I have acquired all the components. Now i need to know why does the IDC header has 6 pins instead of only two for the power.

**broken link removed**

Hi, the ICSP connector has normally 5 pins: VDD, MCLR, CLK DATA, VSS.

Thanks
MN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back