Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] Power supply distribution in three phase supply

Status
Not open for further replies.

incomplete_jerin

Advanced Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi friends.

Actually i have come across a problem while working on a product of ours. The problem is in the power supply section. We are using three phase power supply basically for our product. The question is that in three phase supply system, if the voltage in one of the any three phases gets lower than the other two, is there any provision that we can distribute the power from the rest of the two phases into three to make up the low voltage & keep the device working until the phase becomes stable???? The device i.e the product is connected along to bore-well motors, submersible motors having power up to 50HP for pumping water as triggered by the device. If so please do suggest me an idea to do so. I am not so much familiar to electrical designing....

Thanking you,
Regards,
Jerin Johns.

Last edited:

3 phase automatic voltage stabilizers are available in the market

Thank you for your posts guys.
Actually my intention is not to maintain the supply voltages of the three phases. It is that can we distribute the 2 phase power into three so that we can operate the device in 3 phase power if one of the phase is too low.... Please give me an idea over solving this issue....

Thanking you,
Regards,
Jerin Johns.

You could use a VFD, variable frequency drive, though you won't be changing frequency. Its a box which can take single phase and digitally synthesize a third phase. They are used for motor control in workshop machinery, plant and the such like.
Frank

You could use a VFD, variable frequency drive, though you won't be changing frequency. Its a box which can take single phase and digitally synthesize a third phase. They are used for motor control in workshop machinery, plant and the such like.
Frank
Thanks for your reply. Could you please elaborate the working of VFD? Also is solution available in the controller level to solve this? If we could do this by using controller circuits it would be nice.

Thanking you,
Regards,
Jerin Johns.

Thanks for your reply. But i am not satisfied by the post. :-(
Let me explain my requirement once more. We have developed a product named as irrigation controller which is meant for farmers having irrigation facility in their fields.This device is connected to the starter of the motor used to pump the water to the field. The device works in three phase supply.So the problem we are facing is that in all the areas where we install this device,we won't get the three phases in equal power. At-least one of the phases get varying frequently. So we want to make the power in the rest two phase to be distributed so that we can compensate the variation in the varying phase. So we require a solution for this problem.So before connecting the device directly to the three phase power supply if we could maintain all the phases in equal voltages it would be nice for the device to work properly. Please do suggest me an idea for solving this problem.

Thanking you,
Regards,
Jerin Johns.

you can use a VFD but 3 phase versions will trip on a phase loss because of limited DC link Capacitors.
By adding some external capacitor and a Diode Bridge it will be solved and it can work with just 2 phase.
a 50kw VFD is between 2K$ to 5K$ depend on the brand and type.
external bridge and cap cost around 300$.
You can email a manufacturer and they will tell you if their drive will work with this configuration or not.

If you have a wired neutral then using the available phases, you can generate the missing phase. If the motor and starter are coping with a rough 3 phase supply, so should your device.
Frank

That is a good idea. Is their any way to split up the other phase to three so to compensate the varying phase or like that?

Thanking you,
Regards,
Jerin Johns.

Status
Not open for further replies.