Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] Calculating input power of ACDC power supply

Status
Not open for further replies.
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi, I'm trying to calculate the input power draw of an ACDC power supply that we are using in a control chassis and am confused by what to me looks like conflicting information in the datasheet.

The power supply is an HDR-30-24 with datasheet here. I'm confused because I see two ways to calculate the input power to this power supply (assuming drawing the full rated output power for this example).

Method 1:
The power supply has an output power rated at 36 W. The input efficiency (Typ.) is listed as 89%. So 36 / 0.89 = 40 W of input power I would expect if the load is drawing the full 36 W rated output.

Method 2:
The datasheet also says that the input AC current (Typ.) is 0.88A at 115VAC. The 115VAC is rms, so I would expect the input power to be 0.88*115 = 101 W from this calculation.

Which one is correct? What am I misunderstanding here? Thanks!

Attachments

• HDR-30-24 datasheet.pdf
    198.2 KB · Views: 41

Status
Not open for further replies.