Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Power measurment ICs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maxxx54

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello Everyone!

I know this topic is kind of discussed bln times, but I couldn't find direct recommendations in other threads.

Basically we are going to build a PCB for a custom ASIC on it and I'd like to measure it's (ASIC) power consumption during the operation.
I know the easiest way would be just "connect Lab equipment to your PCB the record whatever you wish", but I was thinking (for the demonstration purposes) to have a dedicated IC on board, which will sense current and source out the power consumption of the chip.

Did anyone have experience with this kind of ICs? or Can recommend where to look at? Analog, Microchip, Maxim?
I assume, it would be a proper SoC with uC to calculate power and properly source it out side?

Chip's voltage supply would go down to 0V5 with 100s of mA currents.

Thanks in advance.
BR

have a look at the Allegro ACS712
**broken link removed**

I used it to measure DC current into a linear acuator - the current was about 20amps so it may no be suitable for your application but may give you some ideas of what to look for

Many thanks for reply.

I agree current sense devices are really nice. I used to use Maxim MAX4372T as well for that purpose https://www.maximintegrated.com/en/datasheet/index.mvp/id/2104 .
However I was thinking about more integrated approach, the device, which would sense the current and output a corresponding power consumption in a single IC.

Any devises exist?

BR

Status
Not open for further replies.