Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Power from a base station to cellphone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Micro12

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Power from basestation to celphone

Hi,

I would like to calculate the power received from a BS to a celphone.
Is there some precise formula/equation for this type of calculation ?
and which one is the best for this kind of calculation?

Regards

Re: Power from basestation to celphone

Precise? No....the terrain effects, multipath, obstacles, and basestation antenna gain, and cell phone antenna gain as you hold it are all HUGE unknowns.
There are expected mean received power level graphs for distance from a basestation....but they are not "precise". Your actual test signal could vary +10/-40 dB from those graphs.

Your cellular telephone is not communicating with single base station at a time.It establishes few connection ( Time Slot ) and changes then continuously.
Recent phones show the received signal strength.

There are various empirically derived propagation formula such as Elgi, Hata or Cost-231 etc etc. Its not hard to program them into a spreadsheet. I have a free app on my phone that does it.

As others have said it is not an exact science.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back