Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Polarized capacitors for max-232

Status
Not open for further replies.

bomba

Full Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I'm using a max 232 from maxim, it need 10uF polarized capacitors, is any problem to use tantalio capacitors? or I need to use electrolitic capacitors.

Thanks and best regards

max232 tantal or electrolyt

You don't need 10uF .. as i recall 1uF is more than enough .but yes these should be POLARIZED !..

max232 0.1uf

you have reason eltonjhon about 1 uF, but my question is

Can I use tantalio capacitor? or I must to use elcotrolitic capacitor?
or is the same

THANK you eltonjhon

max232 max baud rate

Yes .. you could a tantalum or tantalium cap
i only used those . and had big runs of boards never had problems
I think most people use tatalium caps with those chips . because they are small .

max232 polerized capicators

The MAX232 recommends 10uF. It's the MAX232A which allows 1uF. Anyway, using tantalum or electrolytic caps doesnt matter.

max232 maximun rate

No my friend look at the maxim datasheet for all 232 drivers
nominal cap should be 1.0uF but you could even use 0.1uF
10uf is too much .. it will work of course ,, is a matter of price here !
You could use 1000uF but the little power supplys only will output 25mA at most . So is a matter of if you use those power supply to power something .i have used the negative source to power LCDs .and even 1uF was ok ! Most people just use the chip for the rs232 deal .. but you should also know that there are two power supplys capable of putting out 25mA.
wich is not bad ..

if you need to see the datasheet
download it here : https://www.iitk.ac.in/eclub/DataSheets/max232.pdf

There is an early chip the MAX220 thar requires bigger caps 4.5uF i imagine tha is because the switching frequency is different .(lower)

max232 switching frequency

I verify the maxim datsheet and in the figure 5 suggest to use 1uF for max232, and 0.1uF for max232a.

Thanks

max232 baud rate

Oops. Sorry, my bad. My memeory must be failing me. Thanks for correcting my mistake.

baudrate 11920

I've actually used 1uf non-polarized ceramic surface mount caps without issue on the TI max232 chip. It's cheap, and I needed small footprint surface mount components.

asd

maximum baud rate max232

I love MAX233 but very expensive. I use 0.1uF ceramic for MAX232A (SMD) and 10uF electrolite or tantalum for MAX232.
Chokedee...
โชคดีครับ

max232 baudrate

Both Tan cap and E-cap is OK
I have tried to use 1uF tan cap and it work with computer com normally.

BR
Keith

max232 baud rate maximum

You can use DS275 it less then capacitor and very easy

max232a polarized capacitors

what is maximum baud rate supported by MAX232 IC

maxim 232

wassa said:
what is maximum baud rate supported by MAX232 IC

the answer can be found in the datasheet :roll:
**broken link removed**

Mik

max232 maximal capacitor

In my country DS275 expensive too. Sometime I use 74HC04 with PIC at baudrate 11920.
Goodluck.
Chokedee.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back