Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PLL Design - Ring Oscillator

Status
Not open for further replies.

dtzounakos

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi all,

I am new in the field of PLL design and i want a clear answer about ring oscillators. I have read some papers (especially Maneatis's papers) that the VCO core consist of "differential delay buffer stages". The term "differential delay buffer stage" means that the VCO core does not need an output buffer stage? In other words, the output buffer is incorporated in VCO core?
See the attached paper..

Thanks

Attachments

• CMOS VCOs for Frequency Synthesis in Wireless Biotelemetry.pdf
    162.7 KB · Views: 92

The term "differential delay buffer"is a description of the structure and hasn't to with the capability to drive a particular load. You should look at the load impedance to determine if an output buffer is required. If you want to achieve a specific signal slew rate, it might be suggested.

The term "differential delay buffer"is a description of the structure and hasn't to with the capability to drive a particular load. You should look at the load impedance to determine if an output buffer is required. If you want to achieve a specific signal slew rate, it might be suggested.
Thanks for your clear reply. So, if i have a load impedance, what output buffer you should suggest to me after a ring oscillator operated at frequency range 30-300MHZ? A differential source follower or a differential amplifier with diode connected PMOS load?

Thanks a lot!

Thanks AdvaRes for your reply.. I will check the pdf that proposing to me.

Thanks again..

Status
Not open for further replies.