Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PIN Diodes as switching circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

masadi

Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
PIN Diode

what's characterisic that makes difference of PIN Diode for RF Switch and for Optical Detector ??

Sorry, it may seems to be a stupid question :)

Re: PIN Diode

A forward biased pin diode behaves like a variable resistor at microwave frequencies. They are used for limiters, attenuators and switches.

They are both identical in structure. Both have a big "I" (intrinsic) region of lightly doped material sandwiched between to heavily doped regions.

The microwave PIN diode is used with a forward AND reverse DC current applied, to switch between an open and closed "switch" state. When reverse biased, the I region has no charge carriers, and looks like a very small RF Capacitance. The RF voltage is not big enough to cause charge carriers to be formed in the I region. RF PIN diodes are usually silicon.

The optical PIN dioide is always reversed biased. It is packaged so that light can shine onto the I region. When a photon of light impinges on the I region, an electron is generated and is accelerated toward postively biased side. If enough photons hit the I region, then an appreciable current flows across the I region. Optical PIN diodes are made of various compounds, usually containing GaAs. The type of compound has to be matched to the wavelength of light being detected.

Microwave InGaAs PIN Diodes for Millimeter-Wave Applications
**broken link removed**

Material for I region and parameters of diode are different construction is the same.

https://www.pedasoft.com

Here is a link of how to design a switch using a tool called EM-Supreme:

**broken link removed**

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back