Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

pic18f4550 chip type in hardwareprofile.h

Status
Not open for further replies.

yawijaya

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi guys, i'm currently learning the firmware code for microchip pic18f4550, generic USB HID. I got the firmware from lvr.com as an example. one of the header file, HardwareProfile.h has the list of microcontroller that can be used, and then a specific HardwareProfile header file is tied with each type of microcontroller. Here's a chunk from the code

#if defined(__18CXX)
#if defined(__18F4550)
#include "HardwareProfile - PICDEM FSUSB.h"
#elif defined(__18F87J50)
#include "HardwareProfile - PIC18F87J50 PIM.h"
#elif defined(__18F14K50)
#include "HardwareProfile - Low Pin Count USB Development Kit.h"
#elif defined(__18F46J50)
#if defined(PIC18F_STARTER_KIT_1)
#include "HardwareProfile - PIC18F Starter Kit 1.h"
#else
#include "HardwareProfile - PIC18F46J50 PIM.h"
#endif
#endif
#endif

my question is, how can the firmware know which type of chip i'm using? I assume that in order for the firmware to know which chip i am using on the board, something has to be declared somewhere. but I don't find #define(__18CXX) or #define(__18F4550) in any of the headers and source file. So how does it actually work?will the microcontroller itself define #define(__18CXX) and #define(__18F4550) once its powered?Thanks for your help!

Status
Not open for further replies.