Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PCB TRACE - handling 1500W

Status
Not open for further replies.

majorbra

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello!!

Im my power combiner design, i need to pass 1500W CW(110Mhz) in a microstrip.

My microstrip details are: Impedance: 74 ohms, trace width: 130mils, condutor Thickness: 2OZ, distance between the ground plane and conductor:120mils, tanD:0.0018, Er:3.5

The laminate is a TACONIC RF35.

In your opinion, can this trace size handling this power reliability?

Tks all.

Tks cks3976 but, if possible, I would like to get an analysis in terms of RF power.

Regards.

It might get a tad warm. A quick (not rigorous) back of the napkin calculation says:

Loss tangent is 0.0018. assuming 2" long line at 2.4 GHz, that is a loss of 0.05 dB sent directly to heat. For 1500W that would be 1.5 watts of heat per 2" of line.

rf35 has k=0.24W/m/K thermal conductivity.

Thermal resistance is R = X / kA

Assuming the heat flow directly down from a 120 x 2000 mil trace, with a 130 mil thick dielectric, converting that to meters gets you a thermal resistance of R=89 deg C/Watt

So your top trace will get to T = R * Power = 89 degC/watt * 1.5 watts = 133 deg C above the baseplate temperature. That is pretty warm!

I did some fast analysis, but it looks like ~2/3 of the loss is in the dielectric, so either find a lower loss one, or one with a higher thermal conductivity.

(and, of course, you have to worry about voltage arcing too at the connectors!)
Rich

p.s. you should check my math for mistakes!

Last edited by a moderator:
Biff, just a note: the trace width: 130mils, and the thick dielectric=120mils.

regards.

Easy for you to recalculate. Check out these two materials: RO4350B™ and RT/duroid® 6035HTC

I am designing a filter on PCB that should stand for 200wt@2170 MHz,
the s21 as it seen on the VNA is around -0.4dB, does it mean that around 17wt is going to stay on the traces and convert to heat?
i made it with wide traces in order to have better heat flow and used 1.6mm substrate, how do i calculate the delta T that going to be, except of frying it with real amplifier.
i made my pcb was from neltek9250 which had 0.25 thermal conductivity but great tan delta, and i made another one for 3.5 epsilon in case of a use of rogers material.
how can i predict the heat on the pcb and what is the right way to connect the ground to a heat sink(silicon pad etc.)
the pcb dimensions are 200x55 mm.
i have seen in all kind of solid state transistors for 58dBm amplifiers assemblies a rogers 4350 material were used with thin trace.
tnx

Status
Not open for further replies.