Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

OFDM related question

Status
Not open for further replies.

David83

Advanced Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,

In OFDM systems, the N-by-1 data vector \[\mathbf{X}\] is first transformed to the time domain as \[\mathbf{x}=\mathbf{X}\mathbf{F}_N^H\], where \[\mathbf{F}_N^H\] is the N-by-N IDFT matrix. If we arrange the result in N-by-1 vector we can write \[\mathbf{x}=[\sum_{k=0}^{N-1}X_k\,\,\sum_{k=0}^{N-1}X_ke^{j\frac{2\pi}{N}k} .... \sum_{k=0}^{N-1}X_ke^{j\frac{2\pi}{N}k(N-1)}]^T\]. In the continous-time we have the passband signal as \[x(t)=\Re\left\{\sum_{k=0}^{N-1}X_ke^{j2 pi f_k t}\right\}\], where \[f_k=f_0+k/T\]. How we get from the discrete form to the continuous form?

In particular, if I have the signal in the discrete form as \[\mathbf{x}=[\sum_{l=0}^{L-1}X_{lM}....\sum_{l=0}^{L-1}X_{M-1+lM} .... \sum_{l=0}^{L-1}X_{lM}e^{j\frac{2\pi}{L}l(L-1)}....\sum_{l=0}^{L-1}X_{M-1+lM}e^{j\frac{2\pi}{L}l(L-1)]^T\], which corresponds to vector OFDM, how to write the continuous-time form?

Thanks

I am not sure I understand the passband part exactly, but generally how OFDM works is this: you take the time domain signal and then do some sort of pulse shaping (say, root-raised cosine with a rolloff factor of 1/2). I am not sure what kind of pulse shaping occurs in OFDM signals in real systems, since OFDM processing is typically done all in digital. Once the discrete signal x[n] goes through the pulse shaper/DAC, you put it on an upconverter (multiply by e^(j*2pi*f_k*t)) and transmit the signal.

To change from digital to analog (or discrete to continuous), you would convolve the time signal x[n] with the pulse shaping filter; you would take the signal x[n] and change it to a set of delta functions x(nT) for the convolution operation.

The above analysis also makes it clear what the answer to your original question is: note that in your above equation,
\[x[n] = \sum_{k=0}^{N-1}X_ke^{j*\frac{2\pi}{N}nk},\]
so if you substitute x(nT) in the continuous domain and simplify, you should get something that looks like the discrete form.

I am not sure I understand the passband part exactly, but generally how OFDM works is this: you take the time domain signal and then do some sort of pulse shaping (say, root-raised cosine with a rolloff factor of 1/2). I am not sure what kind of pulse shaping occurs in OFDM signals in real systems, since OFDM processing is typically done all in digital. Once the discrete signal x[n] goes through the pulse shaper/DAC, you put it on an upconverter (multiply by e^(j*2pi*f_k*t)) and transmit the signal.

To change from digital to analog (or discrete to continuous), you would convolve the time signal x[n] with the pulse shaping filter; you would take the signal x[n] and change it to a set of delta functions x(nT) for the convolution operation.

The above analysis also makes it clear what the answer to your original question is: note that in your above equation,
\[x[n] = \sum_{k=0}^{N-1}X_ke^{j*\frac{2\pi}{N}nk},\]
so if you substitute x(nT) in the continuous domain and simplify, you should get something that looks like the discrete form.

OK then, let us assume the baseband signal \[\tilde{x}(t)=\sum_{n=0}^{N-1}x_n\delta(t-nT_s)*R'(t)\], where R'(t) is the transmit pulse filter, which is assumed to be rectangular over [0,T_s], where T_s is the sample time. Which can be shown to be \[\tilde{x}(t)=\sum_{k=0}^{N-1}X_ke^{j2\pi\frac{k}{NT_s}t}\sum_{n=0}^{N-1}R(t-nT_s)=\sum_{k=0}^{N-1}X_ke^{j2\pi\frac{k}{NT_s}t}R(t)\], where R(t) is rectangular over [0,T=NT_s]. Is that right?

Status
Not open for further replies.