Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] noise level of voltage source vs current source

Status
Not open for further replies.

nanock

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

assume there is a simple connection of an ideal voltage source with a resistor. on the other hand, there is a current source connection with a resistor. I want to measure the resistance in each circuit. now,

1- for measuring resistance of a 10k or higher, it is preferred to use voltage source or current source? I mean you prefer to use a voltage source with a resistor or current source with resistor for measuring the resistance? why?

2- please focus on details, linearity, noise level, stability, responsiveness and what ever you can.

thanks a lot

Hi,

to measure R you need to know U and I.

1) If you have a constant voltage, then you need to measure I somehow. Usually with a known series resistor and measure the voltage drop.
* if you want to measure very low resistors you need a lot of current. This generates heat in the DUT. Maybe it overheats and gets damaged.
* if you want to measure very high ohmic resistors, then the current is low. SNR becomes worse. Resolution becomes worse.

2) If you have a constant current source
* if you want to measure very low resistors, then the voltage drop is small. SNR becomes worse. Resolution becomes worse.
* with high ohmic resistors your current source has limited voltage capability. this limits the measurement range.

10kOhms:
..Is somehow inbetween low and high ohmic resistors. So I see no general beneifit in constant voltage or constant current.
For sure it depends what magnitude of voltage or current you choose.

examples:
You may use 3.000V (as constant voltage source ) and get 300uA
Or you may use 100.0uA and get a 1.00V voltage reading.

My opinion:
For low ohmic resistors (below 100mOhms) I´d use a high current source (maybe 1A) and use 4 wire measurement (kelvin connection)
The lower the expected resistor, the higher current source I´d use.
For even lower resistors (in microohms range) i´d use maybe 10A of current, but with alternated connection (very low freuqwncy square wave) to ged rid of thermocouple effects.

For high ohmic resistors I´d use higher voltage.

Linearity, stability (noise also):
Avoid temperature rise of the DUT because of dissipated power = current x voltage.

Klaus

Status
Not open for further replies.