Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Noise detection (preamp-ish type circuit)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mribble

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am looking to make a sound detecting circuit for my Camera Axe project. It just needs to quickly detect sound. Currently I use this amplified mic. The things I'm looking to improve are:

1. Greatly increased sensitivity and have a pot that controls the sensitivity.
  2. (Optional) : It would also be ideal if the signal when from 0V in quiet to 5V for loud sounds (bias center of sound wave to 0 and then invert negative portions), but this only if this doesn't add any cost since I can write software to handle a standard sound wave.
  3. I'm planning to make many of these for the Camera Axe project and don't want something that takes a long time to assemble or is expensive to make.
  4. I don't care about producing an accurate amplified version of the sound wave so I don't need a "good" preamp. All I want to do is detect that there is sound in a reasonable range of human hearing.

The sound sensor here is close to what I want, but I'm hoping to reduce complexity and it doesn't handle my optional part of biasing the output to 0->5V. I also don't understand what most of that circuit is doing so I'd need to understand better.

Can someone with a better understanding of analog circuits help me? I'd be willing to exchange some of my digital circuit or programming expertise if anyone willing to help me here needs help in one of those areas.

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.