Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

New to electronics! Question about electrons throughout a basic atom model.

Status
Not open for further replies.

OXGN88

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
According to the introduction to electronics book that I am reading, there can only be a certain amount of electrons on an atoms shells. I added the numbers together from the book which leaves room for only 92 electrons. If an atom can only have a maximum of 92 electrons on its combined shells, then how do any elements having an atomic number of 93+ hold the excess electrons? Protons must be matched with the same amount of electrons right? Is every element perfectly balanced? If an atom is ionized does it physically change or remain the same? Or, is the book simply a bit outdated? Some websites show of 118 elements, while other claim less. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Periodic_system_of_elements

The number 92 (the atomic number of uranium, which has been assumed as the heaviest naturally occuring element for a long period) seems rather arbitrary in the said relation. You would either refer to the highest stable element number (82, Pb) or to the discussion absolute limits of atomic number.

Outdated? What's the book's release year?

old but this may be useful:
https://in.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20071221081137AA0HT25
this sheds some light on diff atomic masses for same element and their instability.
As FvM already mentioned in link, the periodic table lists elements till atomic number of 18, so yes they exists but not for long due to their radioactivity; so every radioactive element some half life.
Back to question, yes, the number of electrons and protons are always equal, the difference is with neutrons, so they create isotopes.
An ionization explanation is given here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ionization
in a simple way, applying some energy to outer shell electron which is alone in its orbit (means no accompanying another electron in same orbit with opposite spin) can turn atom to an ion and make itself free. This does change only the amount of charge on atom and its outer shell structure but all other things are constant as far as i know.

Hope that helps.

According to the introduction to electronics book that I am reading, there can only be a certain amount of electrons on an atoms shells. I added the numbers together from the book which leaves room for only 92 electrons.
There must be some shells that the book does not mention. e.g. Copernicium has 112 protons and electrons. The extra electrons must be in some shells not explained in the book.

Protons must be matched with the same amount of electrons right?
Yes. except...

If an atom is ionized....
Then it gains or loses one or more electrons, so the ion does not have an equal number of electrons and protons.

Or, is the book simply a bit outdated?
Better to say the information in the book is incomplete. To be fair though, complete information isn't always available. e.g. Nobody knows what the electron configuration for Copernicium is, or even whether it would be solid or gas at room temperature.

According to the introduction to electronics book that I am reading, there can only be a certain amount of electrons on an atoms shells. I added the numbers together from the book which leaves room for only 92 electrons. If an atom can only have a maximum of 92 electrons on its combined shells, then how do any elements having an atomic number of 93+ hold the excess electrons? Protons must be matched with the same amount of electrons right? Is every element perfectly balanced? If an atom is ionized does it physically change or remain the same? Or, is the book simply a bit outdated? Some websites show of 118 elements, while other claim less. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
Yes, there are a certain amount of electrons on an atoms energy level (shell) but there are a complex combination of level loading depending on the atom. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atomic_electron_configuration_table shows the electron loading really well.
But the functions of the atom are more controlled by the combination of positrons and neutrons. It's physical properties are defined by this. The removal or addition of electrons does not change the atoms physical properties.
Think of it this way. The electron is about 5/1000th the mass of a neutron. How much can the gravity of the earth affect a tennis ball compared to the gravity of a human? Every mass has gravity, but small objects, like a human, it is so small it cannot be measured. The electron is the same. It affects the charge of the atom but not it's physical properties.

It's physical properties are defined by this. The removal or addition of electrons does not change the atoms physical properties.
What do you exactly consider as physical properties? A few properties are defined by the nucleus, e.g nuclear magnetical resonance effects, but most exclusively by the electron configuration.

Last edited:

Thank you all for your input. It is greatly appreciated. Your replies have shed light on my questions! This is a good start in the right direction.

Status
Not open for further replies.