Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Need schematic of a DC-DC down converter

Status
Not open for further replies.

mpatel

Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,
I am new to power electronics. I would like to design DC-DC down converter from around 300V to either 5V or 3.3V. The output voltage should not be constantly controlled at fixed level. If the voltage level of input is reduced, the voltage level of level must also be reduced appropriately. Can anyone help with the schematic design?

Thanks and regards,
Mukesh

DC-DC down converter

Hi,
It depends on what you intend to use this for and the required current. If this is to be a reference for some circuit, a non-isolated voltage divider will do:
97_1278614791.jpg

If you require this to drive some current, then you need to design an SMPS with something like TOP, TNY, DPA, VIPER, UC384x or some similar controller.

Hope this helps.
Tahmid.

mpatel

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Re: DC-DC down converter

Hi Tahmid,

Actually I want to measure the voltage level of the DC source using electronics circuit but at such high voltage electronics does not work. Therefore, I want to decrease the voltage level to 5V or 3.3 V. If the DC source voltage is lower, the output of my circuit is also lower accordingly. This is the only application.

By the way, can you give me the equation of how to derive resistors' value for different DC source voltages?

Thanks
Mukesh

Tahmid said:
Hi,
It depends on what you intend to use this for and the required current. If this is to be a reference for some circuit, a non-isolated voltage divider will do:
97_1278614791.jpg

If you require this to drive some current, then you need to design an SMPS with something like TOP, TNY, DPA, VIPER, UC384x or some similar controller.

Hope this helps.
Tahmid.

DC-DC down converter

Hi,
The formula goes:
Vout = (Vin * R2) / (R2 + R1)

For your requirement, this circuit is enough.

Hope this helps.
Tahmid.

Hi Tahmid,

But this circuit may not work at high current. I need to design to measure the voltage at very high current level, ranging from 1 A to 25 A.

Thanks
Mukesh

Tahmid said:
Hi,
The formula goes:
Vout = (Vin * R2) / (R2 + R1)

For your requirement, this circuit is enough.

Hope this helps.
Tahmid.

DC-DC down converter

Hi,
The high current is going to the load(a few kWs), not flowing through the resistors, so this is fine.

Hope this helps.
Tahmid.

Tahmid said:
Hi,
The high current is going to the load(a few kWs), not flowing through the resistors, so this is fine.

Hope this helps.
Tahmid.

Yeap Agree with Tahmid! As long as your load resistance is much much smaller than the resistances of the potential divider than it should work well.

Anyway your input and output voltage is a fixed or varying voltage?

Status
Not open for further replies.