Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Need resources on how to design Ni-MH charger

Status
Not open for further replies.

wisepie

Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
ds2714 current source

I need some sources/information on how to design a smart Ni-MH cell charger... what is delta-V or delta-V cut off detection..sorry, It is quite new for me to design this charger...
Pls email to me at dnamarketing(at)yahoo.com if you can help me. Thank you..

Ni-MH charger

Hi wisepie,

To design a smart cell charger(Ni-MH ,etc), go for Linear Technologies. They are so many solutions(ICs) for cell charger.

Regards,
Nitin.

Re: Ni-MH charger

a fast notes about Ni-MH charging

1) begin the charing with trickle this means u charge the battery with constant current equal about 50 mA , just to sense is this battery build up voltage or no

2) after that u verified that ur battery is ok , and if the temp of the battery is ok "need thermistor"

3) begin Fast Charge "with constant current " about .5 C to 1 C , this means u will done about 2 to 1 hour

4) after that Charger termination

deltaV this means that in the end of charging the voltage begin to decrease so if u detect the decrease about .02 /cell then cuttoff the fast charge mode

aslso there is another termination technique called delta T , when u dtectet that the Temp raised by 1 to 2 C degres , cuttoff the fast charge mode

Khouly

Thank you for the information. I still have some doubts.. How about charging a battery still has half of its capacity compared to a fully discharged one.

Hi Khouly, do you have more details explanation about the delta V and delta T technique?

Ni-MH charger

but how do we control for examle 50mA constant current, series resistor, outside or inside chip?

use constant current source , and a On of transistor switch ,cotrol the period then u get the current u want

check the datasheet of LM317 regulator to see how to use it as a constant current source

khouly

Status
Not open for further replies.