Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

need ISP program for Winbond 78E516 uC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bus Master

Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
winbond isp

I have a nwe design using Winbond W78E516 uC chip, but the web site declares the following:

"Winbond Electronics Corporation spun-off its Logic IC business effective July 1st 2008.

You will be redirect to the new company's website in 10 seconds.

Click here for the new company: Nuvoton Technology Corporation."

I didn't find the ISP downloading program on Nuvoton website. They only provide the datasheet.

can anyone upload it here?

Thanks in advance.

winbond bootloader

From what I understand, this device is similar to the Atmel 89C51. There is NO ISP programming for this device. You must program it using a parallel programmer or a universal programmer that supports this device.

One of the pins requires 14.5 VDC, which is not very common these days.

Good Luck

w78e516b isp

is this some kind of bootloader?

Is there a windows application that programs the device?

winbond icp bootloader

It is 44 pins i guess. try this device tool, you will find the proper universal programmer if that's what you are looking:

https://www.xeltek.com/device_search/search.php

just copy and paste the device number and search for it to see which programmers they are supporting. Pretty much all universal device programmer websites have similar tools like this. Pick which company you want to work with and make sure that they are supporting your device. And also don't forget to double check default pin numbers of those programmers. Otherwise you may need to pay extra money for socket adapter. But it is almost commoditized that most of the universal programmers have 48 pins-drivers.

78e516

I use a Labtool myself. It supports this device and other Winbond devices.
According to the 78E516 datasheet, it does not support ISP (just like the Atmel 89C51).

78e516 isp

Dear Bus master
How are you basha
hope every thing is ok , actually i miss you soo much and i hope to see you soon

Akhok 7alawa
Mohamed Abdulsadek

nuvoton 8051 isp programmer

This is straight out of the W78E516B datasheet:

5.12 In-System Programming (ISP) Mode:

The W78E516B equips one 64K byte of main Flash EPROM bank for application program (called APROM) and one 4K byte of auxiliary Flash EPROM bank for loader program (called LDROM). In the normal operation, the microcontroller executes the code in the APROM. If the content of APROM needs to be modified, the W78E516B allows user to activate the In-System Programming (ISP) mode
by setting the CHPCON register. The CHPCON is read-only by default, software must write two specific values 87H, then 59H sequentially to the CHPENR register to enable the CHPCON write attribute. Writing CHPENR register with the values except 87H and 59H will close CHPCON register write attribute. The W78E516B achieves all in-system programming operations including enter/exit ISP Mode, program, erase, read ... etc, during device in the idle mode. Setting the bit
CHPCON.0 the device will enter in-system programming mode after a wake-up from idle mode. Because device needs proper time to complete the ISP operations before awaken from idle mode, software may use timer interrupt to control the duration for device wake-up from idle mode. To perform
ISP operation for revising contents of APROM, software located at APROM setting the CHPCON register then enter idle mode, after awaken from idle mode the device executes the corresponding interrupt service routine in LDROM. Because the device will clear the program counter while switching
from APROM to LDROM, the first execution of RETI instruction in interrupt service routine will jump to 00H at LDROM area. The device offers a software reset for switching back to APROM while the content of APROM has been updated completely. Setting CHPCON register bit 0, 1 and 7 to logic-1
will result a software reset to reset the CPU. The software reset serves as a external reset. This insystem programming feature makes the job easy and efficient in which the application needs to update firmware frequently. In some applications, the in-system programming feature make it possible
to easily update the system firmware without opening the chassis.

Does anyone have info on WHAT is in the 4K LDROM area in a virgin device ? I need to know if I can ISP program it a totally new device.

Dave

Added after 10 minutes:

Dave here again,

Winbond has spun off its 8051s to Nuvoton. The Nuvoton website has many dead links, and no one seems to want to acknowledge that or fix them.

I have found some datasheets elsewhere, but they have NO application notes. NONE. I cant even get them from the old Winbond site.

You can try ...

https://www.winbond-usa.com/mambo/content/view/140/269/

There is some 8051 info there, but no app notes anymore.

If anyone has app notes I would love to see them.

winbond parrallel program

I copied this message below from

**broken link removed**

Does anyone know if this is still true ???

Subject: Winbond ISP
Full Name: David Smith (Nottingham Uk)
Date: 04/19/05 08:17
Read: 407 times-- Printable Version
Score: Hasn't been scored
Winbond never loaded any default ISP code into the LDROM section! You had to do the initial programming on a parallel programmer. I pointed this 'shortfall' out to one of their technical guys about 4 months ago, and he promised that they would preload the LDROM section with working ISP code. (I posted this info: #82232 - Winbond ISP Information.)
Majid should email Winbond and find out if they carried out their proposal - and, if so, from what date code.
Big pain if they haven't. Got access to an ALL-11???
Good luck!

winbond 78e516

A Nuvoton FAE finally got back frmo vacation. This is the answer:

The answer is yes, a boot loader must be pre-programmed before the chip is
soldered onto the board. We do provide an ISP "kit" with a standard boot
loader, which you can modify for your own applications - see attached. This
provides flexibility as to how you want the boot loading to be handled.

I am still curious why they’d sell devices in this state.

Wouldn’t the devices be more user friendly and useable by more people if they programmed the boot loader PRIOR to shipping them ?

If the ldrom area is meant to hold a boot loader - why not ship it with one pre-installed ?

He said “... This provides flexibility as to how you want the boot loading to be handled.”. Can anyone explain how requiring a user of these devices to invest in a parallel programmer and go through all the extra handling of the devices provides flexibility ?

They are NOT providing flexibility - they are REMOVING flexibility. They are forcing users to follow a particular, labor intensive step that could easily be done at the factory. Since they mass produce these devices they are much more well suited to perform the boot loader pre-loading then the end user.

So what if someone doesn’t like the boot loader they choose to pre-install. They’d be free to install their own - AND be able to do so WITHOUT a parallel programmer.

This defies common sense.

I am very curious as to why Winbond/Nuvoton would limit its products usage in this way.

Now I am going to have to buy 8051 family microcontrollers from a comany that uses better English in its data sheets, and provides faster reponses to technical question. Damn.

They just wont be as fast.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back