Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

My project to build a relay computer

What do YOU think?

• Neato

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Loony Pen

• All of the above

• Pictures?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

IainMcPhee

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
How many people can boast that they have designed a computer?
How many can boast that they have built one?

Although it is very basic, my computer can be considered to be a general-purpose machine.
STATS:
  • Registers, 3 Internal, three external
    Memory, 63 Words @ 16 Bits
    Bus, 16 Bits
    ALU, 8-Bit Comparator and 8-Bit Parallel Adder/Subtracter, Zuse design
    Instructions, 1023, 10 bit instruction code, 6 bits for memory addressing

My only real problem right now is lack of relays.

Note: Attached is the only schematic I have thus far that makes any sense outside of its original context. The other schematics shall be posted eventually, after I edit them so that they will be understandable.

This could be very expensive. The first computers were built with relays. This is the origin of the term "bug." A real bug happened to be sitting on a relay contact when it closed and mashed it and it stuck. This kept the contacts from having continuity.

Oh .. When i was a kid 12, 13 years old i decided to build a primitive computer by using my own built relays (with nails and copper wire ) .So i started by making the box a huge wooden box . An there was no more money left for the rest copper wire and wire .This was in 1972.
Glorious days .The music was great and i was a little psycodellic.

Already have enough relays to build one part at a time and test my designs. For instance, the other day built the addition/subtraction part of the ALU. Got the adder done, it worked perfectly. Added the subtraction capability, it all went south. I have spent much time poking around with a multimeter since then. I think my B relays (the ones that handle inversion and half the XORs) have the subtraction inputs backwards, ie they dont invert half the time, and they latch the rest of the time...:cry:

The Basic CPU Design

The major design work is now complete. I am working on aquiring relays, and am trying to find a cabinet of some sort to build it in. I am thinking of maybe a desk for the CPU, and other cabinets for periphrials. I will need to do one for memory, power supply, tape drive, etc.

I am still alive, just been doing some other work that needed doing.

I built another power supply, this one will be permanent in my adder/subtractor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back