Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

My ADS circuit oscillates but ha no harmonics.

Status
Not open for further replies.

skatefast08

Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
What could I possibly be doing wrong with my harmonic simulation in ADS, when my transient has an oscillation between -500 mV to 500 mV. Shouldn't I get a harmonic magnitude at the frequency of the oscillation?

That signal may not be large enough to bring in any diode
nonlinearities, and then you would not generate those kinds
of "squaring / clipping" harmonics.

Try +/1V and see what changes.

How you have organized your HB set-up ??
Post it here.
Because HB set-up for oscillators is little bit tricky. You should define well some important HB metrics otherwise HB might not be converged or even give errors.

I actually got it to work. I guess the reason was that I put in the wrong fundamental frequency in for the harmonic balance. I put in 1 GHz, when its supposed to be around 4 and 5 GHz. Below is the 1 GHz harmonic balance simulation and the 2nd picture is the 5 GHz harmonic balance. I also don't understand how I still get an oscillator when my phase shift at 5 GHz is only 43 degrees when doing an AC simulation see 3rd image for this.

Lastly, I want to vary the frequency by varying a transmission line configuration for a resonator. how would you go about this? Also how do you get an ocillator when your phase shift is only 43 degrees?

Thanks

1680651484165.png

1680708379666.png

1680710523475.png

--- Updated ---

Note: Transistor being used is: pf_hp_ATF21170_19931015

Last edited:

Hi BigBoss, I actually used an RFC this time, used an emitter resistor to lower my amps to get 20 mA and used a 3VDC power supply. I actually get no harmonics now, since I used an RFC. I dont understand why I get a transient with about 9 GHz and I used a 9GHz fundamental frequency, but no magnitude like last time.
1680726681049.png

1680803793443.png

Still no harmonics, but I got them oscillations going ;). Same circuit as before, but instead using EM simulation for the circuit board

Attachments

• 1680803720999.png
    1680803720999.png
    64.4 KB · Views: 87

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back