Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Multiply two signals in VHDL with FPGA output

Status
Not open for further replies.

uselessmail

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi there!
I wrote two programs in VHDL, one to generate a PRBS sequence and another to generate a square signal of 100 Mhz. For both these signals I took the output at the SMA port on the FPGA board (Xilinx SP601). Now I want to multiply these two signals and get the output again at the SMA port.

For the PRBS sequence, I got the output in the register
Code:
data_out std_logic_vector (9 downto 0)
. To get the data serially out from the SMA port I created another register 'mlbs_out' which is an 'std_logic'. I copied the data into mlbs_out in the following manner:
Code:
mlbs_out <= data_out(9);
data_out(9 downto 1) <= data_out(8 downto 0);

For the square signal, I simply got the output in a register 'bout' which is an 'std_logic'

Now when I use the simple multiplication operator I get an error. The code I use is:
Code:
LED_OUT <= ((mlbs_out)*(bout));

The error I get is, "found '0' definitions of operator "*", cannot determine exact overloaded matching definition for "*" "
I am using "STD_LOGIC_UNSIGNED.ALL" library. I also tried using the "ARITHMETIC.ALL" library and then writing the sign of the signals everywhere but to no avail.
Could someone please explain how I can get over this problem?

First of all, you have to understand that a std_logic, on its own, is not a number. Its just a single bit. Also understand that a std_logic_vector, is also not a number, it is a collection of bits. So before you are doing any arithmatic, you need to convert to a type that does represent a number.

This is possible using the numeric_std library. The std_logic_unsigned/signed and arith libraries are non-standard VHDL, and should not be used.

but the question is, why would you multiply two 1-bit numbers, why not just AND them together?

You could use Multiplier IP Core as you're using Xilinx SP601.

Status
Not open for further replies.