Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[MOVED] Well my 1000W Silverstone crapped out

Status
Not open for further replies.

homore

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
So I bought a SST-ST1000 PSU 3 years ago, because well...it was pretty awesome and I wanted something awesomely efficient, reliable and future proofed. Well...it's 8 months out of warranty and the 12v rail died. I emailed them if they could service it and I would pay a fee. They emailed me back and said they do not do repairs so I'm SOL. Although I've been in the custom PC game for 15 years now and am aware that things like this happen I can't help but feeling disappointed. My OCZ Powerstream 420W (OCZ's first entry in the PSU market back in the day) is pushing 9 years and still runs stong and at 76% efficiency and it wasn't even a "flagship". But here is Silverstone's flagship that spent 3 years running only 35-40% load and it's already lost it's 12v rail.

But anyways enough of my crying. Time to shop. Can you guys help me out?

Here are my criteria:
Reliability
Efficiency(looking for 80Gold or Plat)
Warranty

What I'm running
i7 4770k
16GB (2x8GB)
R9 290X
2xSSD's
6xHDD's
1xODD
Full watercooling loop
8x120mm fan
1x140mm fan
1x200mm fan
1x240mm fan

Things I'll be adding in soon:
Another R9 290x
A second water cooling loop
more fans for the second loop

Overclocking will be done.

Soooooo any recommendations?

Looking at this one: **broken link removed**

Same price as what I paid for the silverstone 3 years ago but a 10 yr warranty and now it's 80Platium now.

Any other recommendations will be appreciated.

You have not linked to a psu, just a website selling stuff - looks more like a spammy link.

Try somewhere like the forums at www.overclockers.co.uk and see what they are saying about the psu models - they seems to know their stuff.

Usually, if you contact one of the suppliers on a site like that they quote you a price for 1,000 plus shipping cost from China with a two month lead time (to give them time to build them). You then get a "Brilliant spoons Corporation woo-fong-chow" branded product with a 10 year warranty but the company ceases to exist under that name by the time they have reached you. I'm saying be very, very cautious!

It is quite unusual for only one of the outputs of a PC PSU to fail while the rest are still working, I would say there is a very high probability that the output capacitor on the 12V rail is open circuit. They are cheap and easy to replace. Try a repair before condemning it.

Brian.

Status
Not open for further replies.