Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[Moved] in practically ,why we have to connect limited slave devices in I2c?

Status
Not open for further replies.

karthigowri

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
i know in I2c bus we can connect upto 114 different slave devices.but why we cannot connect all slave devices (i.e 2^7 = 128).

The correct title for your question would be something like "how many different addresses are available in I2C when using 7-Bit address scheme".

If you review the I2C specification, you'll notice that some addresses are reserved, thus not all 7-Bit combination can be used.

How many slave devices can be connected is a quite different question. It depends primarly on the acceptable bus load. Usually the number is smaller 114. Often aspecific devices can only use a small set of preprogrammed addresses, so there are other limitations. If you can freely choose the device address, e.g. with µP slaves, you can also switch to 10-Bit addressing.

Status
Not open for further replies.