Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[Moved from ASIC forum]: How to control a GATE using Arduino

Status
Not open for further replies.

thandana

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

I want to be able to control and monitor an electric GATE at home using arduino via SMS. So I should be able to send an SMS to my SIM900 to open the GATE and send me notification that the GATE IS OPEN.

What hardware will i require to realize this goal.

You input will be highly appreciated.

regards,
Thandanani

Use micro-controller at the gate actuator. Use a GSM modem which will read the SMS sent by a particular number. When this is read by a GSM modem, read it using a micro-controller and send a signal to open the gate. Place a sensor near the gate and use the output of the sensor to monitor the position of the gate. You can choose a sensor of your choice. A simple IR sensor works. Read the sensor output a send back a message to the same number using GSM modem. Same logic can be applied to colse the gate.

Hi ManjunathaHK

Thanks for the feedback. This is the hardware that I have currently.

- Arduino UNO REV3
- GPRS/GSM Modem
- 5V Relays

Please indicate how I can use these to achieve this goal. If you dont mind sharing the connections as well. I currently have the code to turn ON/OFF the lights in the house so wanted to do the same for the GATE.

Can you tel me how does your gate actually works?? I don't see ant problem. If you can turn ON/OFF the lights, the same logic can be applied to open or close the gate. Only thing you have to add is the SMS part of it. You directly get the code for GSM modem in the internet. Or it will be given in the user manual that you get along with the GSM modem. Decide the sensor you want to install depending on the gate

Hi,

At the moment i don't have a gate. I was hoping I can get advise on what motor I can use to simulate opening and closing of the gate. What hardware one can use to best build this project.

There are so many different types of remote actuated gates and doors that you should be a bit more precise about your requirement. Electrical gate drives are usually sold and installed by metal work companies and locksmiths, smaller devices are available in hardware stores for self-installation.

Status
Not open for further replies.