Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

CNC Machine by using Arduino

Status
Not open for further replies.

imranahmed

Advanced Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Please let me know I want to make CNC Machine for Printing Purpose and I want to make with Arduino. Please let me know any hint or article or paper for learning.

Hi,

You didn't do an internet search. Why not?

I by myself are building something similar to a CNC. I was overwhelmed by the huge amount of informatiin regarding
* arduino based hardware
* arduino based software
That is available in the internet.

Klaus

Hi,

You didn't do an internet search. Why not?

I by myself are building something similar to a CNC. I was overwhelmed by the huge amount of informatiin regarding
* arduino based hardware
* arduino based software
That is available in the internet.

Klaus
Yes I know I researched already but I want to make it useful commercially. I need proper specifications about drivers, stepper motors, servo motor and other accessories.

Hi,
I need proper specifications about drivers, stepper motors, servo motor and other accessories.
You are the one who wants to build the machine, so it's you give/know the specifications.
Only you (should) know how big, how fast, how solid .... the machine is (expected).

Klaus

imranahmed

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Hi,

You are the one who wants to build the machine, so it's you give/know the specifications.
Only you (should) know how big, how fast, how solid .... the machine is (expected).

Klaus
Ok I understand I will post what I need.

So, you want someone else to do a research for you and make a specification so that you could

Tell us your intended use, preferred working envelope, ...
I want to use make useful for printing on Clothes as per our design. Machine size 6 feet x 6 feet.
This machine would be useful for Sheet Steel Cutting and designing on wood and there many useful purposes.
But I want to make basic structure of machine and should be able to work.
I am confuse in selecting NEMA Stepper motors and drivers but I want to program it by Arduino.

Hi,

In short: you want all at once. Fast, rigid, for steel, for clothes, for wood..
6 feet by 6 feet.
No good idea. I guess this will fail before you start.

The more "universality" you want the more difficult it is.

Imagine.
It's hard to build a Formula 1 car, with high speed high agility
It's hard to build a big truck that carries 20 tons if weight.
But it's impossible to combine both.

--> it's hard enough - especially for a newbie in this area - to build a machine with clear, narrow specifications.
Even if you want to achieve just mediocre quality you should know about mechanics.
Force, mechanical stiffness, mass, acceleration, mechanical power, mechanical energy, inertia...
but also about materials like aluminum, steel, plastics and ....

You say 6 feet, this is about 200cm. Do you know that the mechanical displacement is proportional with length^3?
This means (identical force, identical material) that if there is 0.5mm displacement on a 50cm piece of aluminum
It will cause (200cm/50cm)^3 × 0.5mm = 32mm of displacement?
So if you want it to be exact... either the force needs to be very low (not useful for steel) or you need a huge (and heavy) piece of aluminum.
But huge and heave is not what you want with working with clothes.

...and you should consider different bearings when working with
* steel (heavy duty, designed to work with cooling liquid)
* wood, which dries out grease/oil in the bearings

A lot to consider..

Which stepper to choose will be one of minor problems.

Klaus

Hi,

In short: you want all at once. Fast, rigid, for steel, for clothes, for wood..
6 feet by 6 feet.
No good idea. I guess this will fail before you start.

The more "universality" you want the more difficult it is.

Imagine.
It's hard to build a Formula 1 car, with high speed high agility
It's hard to build a big truck that carries 20 tons if weight.
But it's impossible to combine both.

--> it's hard enough - especially for a newbie in this area - to build a machine with clear, narrow specifications.
Even if you want to achieve just mediocre quality you should know about mechanics.
Force, mechanical stiffness, mass, acceleration, mechanical power, mechanical energy, inertia...
but also about materials like aluminum, steel, plastics and ....

You say 6 feet, this is about 200cm. Do you know that the mechanical displacement is proportional with length^3?
This means (identical force, identical material) that if there is 0.5mm displacement on a 50cm piece of aluminum
It will cause (200cm/50cm)^3 × 0.5mm = 32mm of displacement?
So if you want it to be exact... either the force needs to be very low (not useful for steel) or you need a huge (and heavy) piece of aluminum.
But huge and heave is not what you want with working with clothes.

...and you should consider different bearings when working with
* steel (heavy duty, designed to work with cooling liquid)
* wood, which dries out grease/oil in the bearings

A lot to consider..

Which stepper to choose will be one of minor problems.

Klaus
I want to make slightly big version of attached file not very big not very heavy duty but reliable

Attachments

• cnc-machine.jpg
    cnc-machine.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 183

Hi,

Laser graving? Did you mention "laser" or "graving" before?
These are very important informations...

Klaus

imranahmed

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
I want to make slightly big version of attached file not very big not very heavy duty but reliable

Your picture is 3018 machine i.e. 300x180mm (approx 12x7") which is a toy compared with machine that you want US to chew all data for you.

For Steel Sheet cutting you should consider plasma cutting (low mass, almost no lateral forces). Printing on clothes? Which technique?

Milling wood needs much sturdier machine than plasma ones, lateral forces are higher than on plasma, as well as much higher mass and inertia of moving parts.

Don't fool yourself that you could do a machine for all these tasks in one.

Your picture is 3018 machine i.e. 300x180mm (approx 12x7") which is a toy compared with machine that you want US to chew all data for you.

For Steel Sheet cutting you should consider plasma cutting (low mass, almost no lateral forces). Printing on clothes? Which technique?

Milling wood needs much sturdier machine than plasma ones, lateral forces are higher than on plasma, as well as much higher mass and inertia of moving parts.

Don't fool yourself that you could do a machine for all these tasks in one.
I am not placing all things in one machine but I want to make basic structure of CNC with Stepper motors, drivers and rest of the work is up to me.
When it will become ready may be I will use only drill machine attach to it or anything.

Just to stay on topic, There is firmware for arduino named GRBL. That firmware is a motion controller. It accepts G-code over serial port @115200 bps and generates Step/Direction pulses for Stepper/Servo drivers. I use it when controlling small blue laser module.

Just to stay on topic, There is firmware for arduino named GRBL. That firmware is a motion controller. It accepts G-code over serial port @115200 bps and generates Step/Direction pulses for Stepper/Servo drivers. I use it when controlling small blue laser module.
Thank you very much.
I googled it and preparing small prototype for understanding than I will share with this forum for more learning.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back