Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

microwave theory question

Status
Not open for further replies.

ginebra

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Good day to all. I am currently designing an H-plane T junction. After reading several references regarding this device, i feel that I understand its functionality. However, I am a bit confused regarding the interpretation of its s-parameters.

Based on what i've read, i should take note of the values of s11, s12,s13 and s22. Is it better to have a -12db value for s11 or should it be as close to zero as possible?

s11 rep resents return loss of the port so it should be always better than -10 db for all ports

Thanks for the quick reply sir. Thats the confusing part for me. From my understanding, When it is said to be better than -10 db, since the measurements I get are negative, the s parameters should be -9.99db to 0 db. Did I interpret that correctly sir?

When u mean it as return loss....... u interpret as "15dB return loss" is better than "10dB return loss"....

I hope u understand this terminology.

I see sir. Its desired for a return loss of 20 db or higher since it means that less power is reflected back on that port. Thanks for your explanations.

Added after 4 hours 23 minutes:

by the way here's what im getting right now with regards to the s parameters

s11 = -12.26db
s21 = -1.39 db = s12
s31 = -6.91db = s32 = s13 = s23
s22 = - 12.27db
s33 = -2.35 db

ive seen that increasing the length of the collinear arm affects s33 greatly. any tip to improve this measurements or should I just accept this and fix the problem with tuning screws instead?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back