Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Microstrip line - where to place the amplifier

Status
Not open for further replies.

arefeidi

Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

I've got the ouptut of a PLL (~1 GHz, 0dBm) and the input of a tranceiver chip, connected by about 7cm microstrip line. However, I need to amplify the PLL's output by about 12dB, what I'm going to realize with a MMIC amplifier.

What's the best point to place the amplifier:

a) right behind the PLL output -> to amplify a clean signal, without amplifying other signals radiating into my microstrip line

b) right before the transceiver input -> to transmit only a low power signal on the 7cm microstrip line = to minimize radiating from my microstrip line into other parts of the circuit?

Thanks for any help!

Its tricky solution.
As long there is no interference either of the method is OK.
If interfering signal presents then you need to choose.

In terms of gain both are similar. Both microstrip sections have similar length so also similar losses. I would prefer putting the amplifier close to the transceiver. If the line couples to other lines/structures at least it is 20 dB smaller, so the isolation to other parts of the circuit is increased.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back