Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Measuring RDsON in Power MOSFET

Status
Not open for further replies.

ragraymond

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello Friends Im new to the whole Power Management and Analog Design sphere .
I am working on a simple Synchronous Buck Converter for a Portable Charger .
I use SABER for simulation.
To simulate a particular MOSFET model i have been reading its datasheet and using the device specs in the SABER model library.
But Measuring the RDSon is still not clear.
Although Theoretically Rdson is Delta V/Delta Idrain. My simulation shows me very high values and a significant drop.
How do you actually measure RDson(Note the temperature affect on the MOSFET is not included in the Model hence its taken constant.)
Any opinion would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Raghu.I. Menon

Don't use (delta V)/(delta I). Please try V/I for RDSon

In Synchronous Buck Converter, the drain node of the P-type Power FET and the N-type Power FET (that is connected to the inductor) is always switching.

To calculate the Rdson of the P-type Power FETs:
1) Disconnect the inductor
2) Connect the Drain between the two Power FETs to VSS (Ground)
3) Pull the Gate down to VSS (For turning the PFET ON)
4) Measure the current flowing through the PFET, Ids
5) VDD / Ids will give the PFET on resistance

For N-type Power FET connect the drain node to VDD and pull the NFET gate to VDD as well (to turn it ON) and do the same

You can also measure the the Rdson during transient analysis .... you have to measure the inductor peak current and then the Rdson = VDD / Inductor_Peak_Current

Hope this will help !!! :)

exemple power management project
I need a theoretical part of a voltage regulator(Low dropOut)-based technology CMOS ?
plz HELP ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back