Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Matlab R14 - disapointing ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dora

Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello friends,

I checked Matlab R14 yesterday and I am little bit disappointed.
I played with it only a day but managed to create some opinion already.

1. It is strange but new matlab can not recognize the hardware OpenGL of
my video card. I had no problem with R13 Sp1
2. The Matlab IDE seems little bit prettier then in R13 but it is much slower especially the array browser on my PC (not so slow 1.8 GHz Alton with 512 Mb Ram) . In my opinion all of the IDE new features as not crytically needed are close to be redundant.
(At least in my opinion)
3. It is good that matlab functions supports integer arithmetic in R14. But it is not true that all of the function accepts int8. It seems that only the basic arithmetic operation accepts integer data type. ‘log’ for example doesn’t. In addition instead bigger speed the int types are calculated about 30% sloer then double. It means that Mathworks has not implement this feature in the matlab root but at some intermediate software level …
4. It is good that finaly they have introduced conditional break point in the meditor.
5. About matlab compiler. They have discontinue the Math C/C++ and Graphic Library.
All mlfxxxx function can not be used anymore.
The current compiler transfers the M code to C interface routines to the set of dlls and
Static libraries which contains the matlab engine. As a result as it is clearly written
In the manual of the compiler there is no sense to compile your M code to speed up its
execution.
6 GUI written on the R13 looks very different on R14 colors size of buttons on the tool bar. I have to rewrite most of my Matlab GUI.
7 Expansion of the ‘function handle’ as data type is ok. I am not sure however that the ‘nested functions’ was 100% necessary in this respect, but have not thought about it yet.
8.Lot of affords put on the Help system. That’s Ok.
9. Several warnings … I remember one about mismatch of the case of the file name and name of the function in it. For me this is annoying and also it is better I think that it is nt so big ++ to be made
10. it seems that java influence become bigger and bigger and speed slower and slower.
11 Invocation of the generic Dll is complete now. All kind of pointers are supported I hope it works stable.
12. It is good that there is some development in the RTW area … unfortunately I have not use it and I am not sure that it can be good alternative of C/C++ implementation

Can someone share its opinion and say something for the R14.

Best Regards
dora

Hello friends

Today mathworks amazed me again.

There is Service Pack 1 for the R14 alredy...

I know that some companey as Xilinx for instance usually release the SP just after most of their general releases but at least it was not the case for mathworks until R13sp1.

Regards
dora

Hi Dora ,,
I see that you are beating the hell out those people . Get them friend
How you will like to start configuring :
ISE/systemgenerator ,Codecomposerc6000/c2000 ,symplify DSP , and other 10 softs interfaced to MATLAB .With something that is not STABLE and with products that are not compatible yet .. To deal with MATLAB becomes a nighmare every 6 MONTHS .. When i hear of another MATLAB RELEASE i start shaking !!! .It seems that this COMPANY never HEARD of COMPATIBILITY !

Right eltonjohn

It is a fact however that Matlab is very very convenien for calculation and visualization and that we already have study it. So me personaly will continue to call it my 'favorate program' (mostly for calculation and math simulation, only with matlab core and simulink).

Regards
dora

When I installed MATLAB 14 on my desktop, it is ok. But it is has some warning when I INSTALLED it ON MY LAPTOP. The warning seems related with JAVA. i do not know why.

hawind said:
When I installed MATLAB 14 on my desktop, it is ok. But it is has some warning when I INSTALLED it ON MY LAPTOP. The warning seems related with JAVA. i do not know why.

this problem appeared in matlab version 6. its a problem with java run time environment i suppose... there was a patch available for the matlab 6 version after some time of release... so if this problem reaches them they would provide with an auto install patch... or check with the service pack that they have provided.. may be that will fix this bug... good luck...

regards,
arunmit168.

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH !!!!!! $#@*& %~ pipi
Quel HORREUR !!!!!!

I just tried the NEW MATLAB R14 .. AND me not like it !
is SLOW too slow even on my new computer .. This people are counting on being acceptable within 3 years with the 5Ghz generation of machines ..
The menus are ok but once you want to do something INTERACTIVE is very POOR .. I hate JAVA now ,is a concept that goes against what computer Science teaches .. I SPENT YEARS STUDYING OPTIMIZING algorithms and calculating the O(n) boudaries TO END UP being a user of something not PROMISING .. JAVA the language only makes sense when running NATIVELY .. The day that the next GENERATION of INTEL's X86s will be able to RUN BYTECODE as extended INSTRUCTIONS .. Then we can talk ..
I understand that they do it to cut down on the development costs and to offer the same crap under different machines .. Probably it wil RUN on supercomputers NOW !.. But for us the little people is not easy ..!

R14 is not slower. See

**broken link removed**

Hello VSWR

We didn't mean that the matlab calculation angine is lsower in R14 in comparison with R13.

The point was that matlab integrated envirounment (array editor, editor, matlab GUI, etc.... ,which uses mostly java to speed up the design process) is slow.

Thanks for the benchmark site!
dora

Would you get more publicity with your's discussions about disappointments Matlab R14?

For example with Matlab newsgroup or with comp.dsp newsgroup?

eltonjohn said:
JAVA the language only makes sense when running NATIVELY .. The day that the next GENERATION of INTEL's X86s will be able to RUN BYTECODE as extended INSTRUCTIONS .. Then we can talk ..
I understand that they do it to cut down on the development costs and to offer the same crap under different machines .. Probably it wil RUN on supercomputers NOW !.. But for us the little people is not easy ..!

Righ on Elton John!

But when Java will run natively, doesn't that deny the whole purpose of it? Im a a Java enemy, it's nothing but compromise, a bad compromise.
I'm going to try Matlab 7 this evening. I guess that I'll hate it.

I'm quite happy with R14, on my XP2800+, 1GB RAM runs fine
What about service pack released, improves this issue?

eirp

Hi eirp,

I don'thave the SP1 so i have not checked.

But if you are interested check SP1 release note:

**broken link removed**

Best Regards
dora

We run quite demanding simulations on both platforms (6.1 and 7.0)
and since the both PCs are similar (2.4 GHz with 1.5 GB RAM for 6.1 and 3.0 GHz with 1 GB RAM for 7.0) it is clear that for large calculations the old one is faster at least for 25 percent with the same code. If you try to use some of new routines form Signal processing toolbox the difference is even larger.

Personaly, I vote for old one.

Hi Debeli

Really?Very bad.

Can you say something abouth the nature of your simulation?
I mean what kind of calculation are you using?
Is you code vectorized?
I see you use machine with more RAM with 6.1. Is this not the reason of the slow down?
Do you know how much memory is used on the run?

Best regards
dora

Another problem with Matlab 7.0 AND 7.0.1 is that it won't run on AMD 64bit windows machines without modifying it. 7.0.1 supports 64bit linux machines. On the windows machines, you have to add an entry into a file dealing with the linear algebra module.

Hi TheLizard

> you have to add an entry into a file dealing with the linear algebra module

what do you mean?

Best Regards
dora

Sorry for the late reply, I've been out of town.

Matlab 7.0 and 7.0.1 will not run on a 64bit AMD computer. This is because upon initialization, the linear algebra module crashes. It crashes because it searches for a .dll via a lookup table located in some matlab file (I don't remember the name). It doesn't find the entry for the AMD 64bit processor and crashes. If you add an entry to the file containing the lookup table (it's just an ASCII file), that points the linear algebra module to the correct .dll for the AMD CPU, it'll work (though only in 32bit mode).

I have given up the Matlab 7.0, It's too slow, especially when you plot a curve.
For now, Matlab 6.5 is the best version in my opinion. Maybe 7.5 will be better, who knows? ^_^

thouse who think that the machine has slowed down should try switching the matlab service to manual from auto.
you will save a lot of ram.

hock

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back