Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Making a screen from tri-colour LED lights

Status
Not open for further replies.

nabaza

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi, team! I'm new on these forums and I've joined because I have a fairly specific question (I've searched old threads, had no luck). I'm interested in finding out more about using tri-colour LEDs to create a screen on which I would be able to show anything live or recorded from a computer. I've seen these screens before at music festivals and other large-scale events, which makes me think that the technology mighn't be too difficult provided I can afford the materials.

My problem, however, is that I don't know what this kind of screen is called, the name of the connection the LED lights have to have to each other, with the computer or even the kind of program I would have to use (perhaps something like Pure Data?) and as such, I am having difficulty Boolean searching and giving this a shot.

I'd really appreciate it if someone who knew the names of these things could let me know so I could start trying to do some research. If you think you have any other information which could be useful, I'd be very grateful for that too!

Am I correct in thinking that what I need are LED display screen controller/LED display control card? Although I'm still confused about exactly what kind of circuit would connect all of them.

Just as a quick note, in case this alters someone's advice, my end goal is to attach several thousand LED lights to a bodysuit, thereby transforming it into a kind of screen. I appreciate that this will be a markedly difficult task. Again, I apologise for my ignorance, I ask this question with great sincerity and a thirst for understanding and any help would be much appreciated.

Computer connection: Serial, parallel, usb, firewire, telephone line, PS2, HDMI, DVI,

LED pixel usually consist of four LED's, blue, green, two reds. Matching the LED intensity and current profile vs. illumination output is quite complicated. Screen make generally grade LED out for close matching of illumination output vs. current.

The power to drive your suit is going to be quite high. You will also likely overhead in the suit.

Status
Not open for further replies.