Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

magnetic RPM sensor connected to PIC16F1827 (help with circuit design)

Status
Not open for further replies.

nikens

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am making a bike gear indicator circuit that would based on a 3 wire hall effect speed sensor and a 2 wire magnetic coil RPM sensor readings and I had allready opened a topic "PIC multiple interrupts" where user "Tahmid" was wery helpful explaining things.
At the beggining I didn't really know how to deal with the sensor signals and I learnt different approaches along the research.

I am now posting my rough circuit design and would need your help if I am using right approach.
Please mind only the diagram in a red square (circuit for hall effect and magnetic speed sensor), since power circuit and other inputs, outputs are not important right now (althow I don't mind if you find some error in a circuit - I won't be using a reset circuit or outside osscilator, also both NPNs will be connected to portB pins, where individual pull ups will be used).

My way of dealing with the AC signal that is generated in a RPM magnetic sensor when gear tooth pases the coil would be, to first rectify AC using a diode and then drive the signal through MOSFET rather than BJT (I could also use optocoupler). Signal from the MOSFET would then be connected to one of the PIC's CCP schmit triggered input. I have choosed 16F1827 since it offers more than one CCP input.

Attachments

• diagram.jpg
    diagram.jpg
    129.5 KB · Views: 90

hello

amplitude (level) of the signal could be very low if the speed is low. Amplitude=f(frequency)
Maybe you have to amplifie by 10 or 100 the signal before to use a trigger to get square vave.
Some industrial inductive sensor can deliver a ON:Off status in front of teehs of gear
I use it for my appart's bike.
Even with an hall effect sensor you must have a magnetic gear to obtain a good signal
Hall sensor can also works in analog mode and need amplifier to get a good signal.
You can see some example for interfacing on my web page .. **broken link removed**
sorry only in french !

Cordialement
Paul

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back