Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Lumped elements to distributed elements

rf997

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello, I want to design a notch filter at 3.7 ghz frequency. When I design the circuit with lumped elements, some capacitor and inductor values are too small. So I want to replace these elements with microstrip lines. How can I do that?

Rogers Duroid 6006, 0.8mm Height, 35um Copper Clad
1698249791667.png

1698249827881.png

Attachments

• 3.7GHz_Notch.rar
    1.9 KB · Views: 35
The element thicknesses here are very thin. Is there a different design style for production?
0.8mm is not very thin but I have repeated this design for Rogers 6006 1.27mm ( standard thickness )
1698977687950.png

1698977699605.png

Attachments

• sonfile_WB.rar
    1.8 KB · Views: 54
Hello, I want to design a notch filter at 3.7 ghz frequency. When I design the circuit with lumped elements, some capacitor and inductor values are too small. So I want to replace these elements with microstrip lines. How can I do that?

well, one way is to have open circuited stubs that are physically quarter wave at 3.7 GHz. that insures the notch is at 3.7 GHz, since an open circuited line with a quarter wave length looks like a short circuit at its input.

you can control the width of the open circuited line for bigger or smaller notch bandwidth. and you can lead in and lead out of the stub with non 50 ohm lengths, and vary their impedance and length to get a bit of a better match.

but since 3.7 GHz is getting fairly high, parasitic effects will shift the actual notch frequency a little lower, so expect that OR simulate the discontinuiteis at the open circuit end (fringing capacitance) or the T junction where the stub meets the main line.

LaTeX Commands Quick-Menu:

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back