Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

LPT interface with 8 Seven Segment Display...

Status
Not open for further replies.

hassaan_july

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I Want to interface 7segment display with Assembly Language using parallel port...

The problem is Parallel port has 8 outputs and I want to connect 8 Seven segment display....how should I Do it...?

if using Multiplexer IC...then which will do my work Perfectly..?

If you have 8 free output pin on your Parallel port, the only one possible way is the multiplexing:

Use a 3to8 decoder IC like 74hc138 to choose one of the 8 display at a time
-- > 4 output pins (address A, B, C and inhibit).
Use a serial-parallel converter IC to send the segment datas (I recommend the HC595)
-- > 3 output pins (clock, data, store).
Use the aboves in a fast program cycle to get a continous display ...

Good luck.

If you have 8 free output pin on your Parallel port, the only one possible way is the multiplexing:

Use a 3to8 decoder IC like 74hc138 to choose one of the 8 display at a time
-- > 4 output pins (address A, B, C and inhibit).
Use a serial-parallel converter IC to send the segment datas (I recommend the HC595)
-- > 3 output pins (clock, data, store).
Use the aboves in a fast program cycle to get a continous display ...

Good luck.

if i use 3 to 8 decider i will only be able to use 2 seven segment displays.......

"if i use 3 to 8 decider i will only be able to use 2 seven segment displays....... "
No, use the 8 decoder outputs to drive the commons of the 8 displays (of course via a PNP transistor, if you have common anode displays). One decoder output --- one display ...

Standard parallel port has 12 output pins and 5 input pins..................................

**broken link removed**

Parallel port output

**broken link removed**

.....Here is the steps to write your first parallel port interfacing application in VC++.
**broken link removed**

Parallel port - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Regards KAK

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.