Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Looking for a small touch sensor

Status
Not open for further replies.

aryajur

Advanced Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Need a touch sensor..

I am looking for a component which can be used as a touch sensor. The touch may not be necessarily by human hand. It can be by any object. The sensor has to be as small as possible, preferably as a film.
Measurement of pressure is not required, just a detection of touch. Please suggest any suitable components.

Re: Need a touch sensor..

Why don't you make your own touch detector???

Just a couple of metal or conductor plates... and you got it done.

Open, no voltage (Open circuit), pressed, 5 v dc.

Here is an example of a solid state touch sensor:
**broken link removed**

Last edited by a moderator:

The touch sensor in the link would be quite big for me to use(assuming the dimensions given are in inches). I was thinking maybe I could use piezoelectric film? I don't want to make one using metal plates since it needs to be very reliable and preferably solid state. Any more suggestions?

Another option is a fixed-plate capacitive touch sensor.
Some information on this type of sensor you can find here:
**broken link removed**
(replace 7 xxxx... int word Article)

I also suggest the Qprox devices. The IC range is QT110, QT111, QT113, QT114 etc.

They operate at a distance, hence provide isolation of the touch surface and humans.
When it senses something, it changes the output state and then return it to its original condition, I mean, it will not move from logic low to high and stay there but returns to low after a second. So you might need a flip-flop at the output to hold the desired state until the next sense.

https://www.qprox.com/

I think the problem with such capacitive sensors would be they won't detect certain objects, like if a non metallic object touches the sensor.

I suggest so that you make sensor by your self ... i think that its not so complicated ... maybe with high impendance detection ?

bye!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back