Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

looking for a simple sensor to play with

Status
Not open for further replies.

yefj

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,I am looking for a sensor without the ADC part in it.only the sensor which will output analog signal .no matter what sensor just something i could start play with.
Thanks.

The simplest is a pot ...
or a resistor divider. So you can use it as DVM for DC voltages.
Or a LM35 temperature sensor.

A BJT can be used as a temperature sensor, too. Since it's V_be will drift by about -2mV/°C.

Klaus

Reactions: yefj

yefj

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
You can also use a thermistor.

Last edited:

Yes i will order it then.
another question I know we have ADC periphery i can use,is there someexternal ADC component i could use for this device?
Thanks

Hi,

of course there are many external ADCs available. But the question is

- Which resolution do you want/need?
- Which update rate?
- Which communication interface (I²C, SPI, parallel)?

A good solution might be the MCP3424 [1] or the MCP3561 [2]. Both have an internal PGA with might be usefull when dealing with small voltages/temperature changes. But have in mind the LM35 accuracy is around \[\pm\]0.5 °C.

[1] https://www.microchip.com/wwwproducts/en/MCP3421
[2] https://www.microchip.com/wwwproducts/en/MCP3561

BR

Last edited:

Hi,

yes those two ICs can be used together. The absolut maximum junction temperature for the LM35 is 150 °C. Thus the maximum output voltage is 1.5 V. The ADC's maximum input voltage in single mode is 2.048 V.

The ADC supports a resolution from 12 bit up to 18 bit, depending on the used data rate. The resolution ranges from 1 mV up to 15.625 uV.

So for an accuracy of +-2 °C @ Ta = 25 °C (+-2 mV) the 12 bit mode alreday provides a higher resolution than the accuracy of the LM35.

BR

Reactions: yefj

yefj

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back