Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

long distance serial communication

Status
Not open for further replies.

Waqas_MicroSolutions

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi guyz,
I have to take different measurements( from Load Cell, Temp, rpm..etc..) at a distance of about 30 feet. I'm about to measure those readings through ADC channels in PIC Microcontroller and then I'll send them to another microcontroller at 30 feet, serially(rs-232) to display those readings on large
7-Segments, Separately.
My Question is, that MAX232 IC is capable of sending data serially over distance of about 30 feet, and then another MAX232 can recover and then provide readable signal to MicroController at TTL level?
Is it possible? or else what you guyz recommend ?
Thanks ion anticipation..

Hi Waqas,

There is a distance limitation for Rs232 standard, this distance depends on data-rate(baudrate). You can send and receive data through MAX232 for 30 feets (9.14 meters) if you keep your baudrate 9600 bps.

Refer to the given link for baudrate and distance details.
Lengths of serial cables

If you want higher baudrate then you need to use RS-485 standard whose range can go

---------- Post added at 15:35 ---------- Previous post was at 15:34 ----------

RS485 range is till 1 kilo meters.

Naveed

Well, 9600 baud rate is Ok, my problem is not rs232 standard, I just want to know that will MAX232 IC (Maxim) will work for that distance 30 feet???
Or else if I use MAX485 IC, what kind of changes I need to do in Soft? Because I have written code for using it with MAX232 IC...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back