Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

LNA Input Impedance Dependence on Load

Status
Not open for further replies.

EEPC

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi all,

I wanted to test the input impedance of a simple common-source transistor with inductive degeneration, and I found that Zin varies considerably with the load impedance (for example simply changing Rload from 100 to 500 ohms). This is not what I expected, because even with a finite Cgd I would not expect Zin to depend on the load that much (since it theoretically depends just on fT and source inductor). Any ideas as to what's causing this? I'm simply driving the gate with an AC current source of unity value and plotting the AC voltage across the source. The test circuit is very simple: single common-source MOSFET with gate and source inductor, and resistive load.

Thanks!

Since S12 is different than zero, input impedance of any kind of system/amplifier/mixer etc. will be depended on load impedance.

This is not what I expected, because even with a finite Cgd I would not expect Zin to depend on the load that much (since it theoretically depends just on fT and source inductor).

Thanks!

Cgd is the Miller capacitance which significantly changes your Zin due to the gain. And the gain depends on the output impedance => Output impedance greatly affect your input impedance.

Cgd is the Miller capacitance which significantly changes your Zin due to the gain.
Be careful, it is not the Miller capacitance. It's the normal Gate-Drain capacitance. If you convert this impedance with the voltage gain to the input, it is called Miller capacitance.

Just to notice.

Be careful, it is not the Miller capacitance. It's the normal Gate-Drain capacitance. If you convert this impedance with the voltage gain to the input, it is called Miller capacitance.

Just to notice.

Yes, my bad, thanks. It has been supposed "Cgd creates the Miller capacitance at the input".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back