Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

LM331 Frequency to Voltage, 100kHz full-scale?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gaubar

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am having trouble converting frequency(0-100kHz) into a voltage signal using a LM331 N.

There is a basic schematic in the datasheet which is for 0-10kHz. I have successfully made this circuit, and it works fine for the range 0-10kHz. When trying to apply a frequency above this range (for example: 50kHz), the output is zero.

Has anyone completed a circuit using LM331 N for measuring frequency around 40kHz - 60kHz? Is it possible to tweak the 0-10kHz circuit to handle higher frequencies?

I find noteworthy that the datasheet provides examples of the device working up to 100 Khz in the V/F mode, but only shows examples up to 10 Khz in the F/V mode.

The probable cause is the differentiator network at the circuit's input. The RC constant must be made for the trigger pulse to be wide enough for reliably triggering. But I suspect that the period of a higher input frequency may approach the pulse width plus any internal settling.
If that is exceeded, the internal one-shot may never reset and the output will be zero.

So probably, measuring 100kHz cannot be done with the LM331. I think they would have put an example circuit in the datasheet if it was possible.

Is there another way this measurement could be done? Are there any cheap/easily available devices that could measure the frequency and output a signal from say 0-5V/or 0-10V?
This might also be done using an ATMEGA/ATTINY microcontroller i suppose, any experience with that/link to some tutorial?

With a PLL, a lowly CD4046 will work all the way to 1.2 Mhz when powered by 10V.

Connect it as shown in figure 1 in the datasheet (no divider between pin 4 and 3).
The translated voltage you require is the VCO control voltage which is fed to pin 9. Since this is a very high impedance node, use a CMOS-input opamp to buffer it (unity gain). In the past I used a CA3140, but there are many modern amps that will also work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back