Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

listen to a modem's communication using another modem

Status
Not open for further replies.

layaghi

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi
suppose I have a dial up communication from my computer through its modem.
now i want to listen and get log of data on this telephone line using another computer and modem. how could i do this?
the second computers modem does not wake up to get data from line, becouase it needs to dial up itself or answer to a comming call, but I want it to listen silently to the line.
please help.

You may try this

go to Device manager --> select your modem under modems --> select modem property --> select diagnostics tab --> tick append log --> click view log

regards
bassa

Dear Bassa
But it is not my question's answer.
I don't want to log my modem's data communication on my (own) computer. I want to listen to the line using (another) computer.
Please read the question again. It is clear.
Thank you.

is it possible?, you won't be able to listen others telephone line.

lets take an example, can you listen any telephone conversation of the others? if you need it so you might go to the telephone provider isn't it?

Anyway you may want to do something else that I unable to understand if so could you please explain it by giving example

regards
bassa

Dear bassa
I have a technical problem with my own system.
It deffers to have a thechnical problem or a legality possibility. ok?
If you set up a LAN you can monitor all of the packets on the network.
And you can develope many researches on the network.
Do you have a similar technic for dial up networks?
Thank you

I still confuse with the connection of your network configuration

anyway If you configure dial-up network through PABX (like module) then you can connect your other PC to PABX and download the log

regards
bassa

Dear Bassa
Please do not confuse.
I'm Developing an embedded system which could connect through a dial up modem to a remote server.
I want to get log of it's detailed data transfer using a modem connected to the line.
I need this data for debugging.
If you reveiw my question you see I want to simply explain this problem. but in my question I put another pc+modem in the place of embedded system for simplifying.
Unfotunetly using PABX switches do not solve my problem. I need to get up my modem without negotiation for initial connection, because this negosiation (dialing up and negotiation about baud rate ,...) has been done with my embedded system and the remote server. I have trided using AT commands but I have not get the result.

Best Regards
Layaghi

You may try to configure RAS server then you can dial via your hardware module to the RAS server.

open hyper terminal in the RAS server then after that you can view or log the data coming from the hardware module or you may write small windows socket (Winsock) program to listen and log the data

You can use AT command to communicate the hardware module and the modem

regards
bassa

Dear Bassa

Thank you for your quick answers.
Actually the server is physically far from my embedded system.
Isn't there any possibility to get the data on the line in my module's side?
My initial plan was using a modem connected to a PC and listenning to the line. But I couldn't start the modem. Because It needs dialing up and passing the initial connection phase. And you know has been done with embedded module and the remote server, and my PC and modem is going to only listen to the line.

Best regards

Layaghi

I understand the question is about tapping a modem communication on a line, you have physical access to (and legal permission too,
hopefully). But usual modems aren't designed to do the job, although the hardware may be able to.

Dear bassa
Thank you for your kind help.
The softwres you have introduced are good for listening to (voice connections), but I want to get log of (data communications) between my embedded module and the remote server.
Best Regards

you may try this

**broken link removed**

regards
bassa

The said software is apparently logging the data at the digital interface, not the telephone line. In most cases, where you have
legal access to the communication channel, this should be actually possible.

If you read the above links carefully, you should have noticed that "modemspy" is promising capture of modulated data through
a sound card.

Dear FvM
I need to extract data not the voice.
The point you mentioned is regard to:
(Record phone calls to MP3 or WAV!)
which is possible as:
(Recording from data modem is possible (you will need to physically connect your phone line and sound card).)
Thanks

Added after 2 minutes:

Dear Bassa
Thank you.
I tried that software. It seems to be helpfull but unfortunettly it is not free. And Its trial version does not work unless getting (Activation Code).
I'm affraid if it is the exact software I need to buy it.
Best regards

Dear friends

I find this tool for solving my problem:
ADMpc Modem data Monitor
**broken link removed**

But it is very expensive.
do you have a less expensive, or enven free one?

Best Regards

You're right rgarding "modemspy" software. I was confused with some points of the description. But your intentions are still unclear. You mentioned "Advanced Modem Data Logger" as possible solution, but it's only tapping the digital interface, not the telephone line. Said ATMpc Modem data Monitor is apparently restricted to V22bis (2400 baud), most peer to peer modem connections are using at least V34 these days.

If the modem is providing a PPP network connection, the serial data stream can be analyzed by Wireshark after converting the recorded raw data of both data directions to a suitable file format.

Dear FvM
Thank you for your quick answer.
1- unfortunately the Wireshark you have introduced is suitble only for LAN networks.

2-2400 buaud is sufficient for my embedded device.

Best Regards

layaghi said:
do you have a less expensive, or enven free one?
you may search Google

check this link also **broken link removed**

Hello, I know this thread has been dead for a while, but if there's anyone listening, did you ever solve this issue without having to buy AALogic's Data monitor? I need to do exactly the same thing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back