Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

LED chaser, mosfet sequencer , advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Salvador12

Full Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hey folks.

I need a circuit that is very similar to a LED chaser, essentially a line of mosfets that get switched on/off in series such that the position of the "ON" mosfet changes in time from one side to the other.
Now unlike a LED chaser, I need several mosfets to be ON simultaneously instead of a single one.

Imagine a row of 30 mosfets and ideally I would need for most of them to be ON at any single moment while a few get switched OFF along the way so that the "OFF" position moves in space and time.
This is a test so I don't need high voltage or current switches. And I would need the "OFF" position to move along in a changeable speed and ideally very fast too.
I am not sure how that translates into switching frequency but the linear speed of the "OFF" position should be up to some 1000 km/h and more if possible.
Shouldn't be too fast for semicondcutors.

So guys , can anyone here help me out with ideas or IC's and part numbers , I'm sure there must be a circuit similar to what i need already out there.

If I may throw a completely different solution....
Look at the MAX7219/MAX7221 or MAX6951 LED drivers. They can drive up to 64 LEDs all individually addressable and the scanning and drivers are on board the IC. All you have to do is configure it and tell it and tell it which LEDs to light up over a simple SPI interface. You can even set the brightness with them!

Brian.

Look at the MAX7219/MAX7221
I can recommend this two ones as well. I already used them several times. There are even a lot of Arduino examples available, so there is less programming effort needed.

BR

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back