Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Advice on first pcb design ( Ethernet RJ45 Jack )

Status
Not open for further replies.

midea_iot

Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,
I have been working on my first pcb design - an extention board for rpi, however I have run into a few problems. I need to have ethernet in and POE capability, however I cannot use the UART interface for the ethernet in (the 10Mbps speeds are sufficient for my project). At first thought, I hoped to just merge an ENC28J60 module with a buck converter, however this is proving more difficult than imagined, mostly due to ethernet port choice and wiring. I am using EasyEDA to design which stocks a vast library of components, however I cannot seem to find the right RJ45 Jack. It seems there are jacks that have magnatics, and those which do not, also not sure which ethernet wiring type should be used in this case, type A or type B (POE will be ~40V standard). For example, would the jack pictured bellow be suitable for this application, and why, if not?

ethernet port form.png

Also attaching how I've wired up the ENC28J60, perhaps there are some errors?

pcb form.png

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by a moderator:

The A/B wiring is only for conductor colors when connecting cables to connectors/jacks/patch panels. There is no difference for a jack on a PCB.

The A/B wiring is only for conductor colors when connecting cables to connectors/jacks/patch panels. There is no difference for a jack on a PCB.
I see. Perhaps you are also knowledgable about the jacks with and without magantics, as looking at the diagram of some it seems they route 4,5 and 7,8 to ground thus seemingly removing the POE connection.

I now see that there is an A/B specification for POE.
Power is delivered on different pins.
This is not the same specification as the A/B for cable colors.

So you must make some decision for A/B POE on you PCB.
Pins 4,5,7,8 are not needed for 10/100M with "mode A" POE.

If you use a jack with built-in magnetics, make sure it is specified for POE.

Status
Not open for further replies.