Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Laser PSU to Driver Board Connection

Status
Not open for further replies.

Elect9

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
AD1.png.jpgCAM00719.jpgCAM00718.jpgCAM00710.jpgCAM00717.jpgCAM00709.jpg
Youtube has influenced my decision to build a personal laser cutter. I've done some searches, but i'm still very new to the process of electronic builds (I have never built a full system or run motors before). I'm stuck at whether the driver board I have is appropriate for firing and engaging the laser through the PSU connections. I've included 5 photo attachments as reference to what I have done and believe is correct. Some pointers would be much appreciated.

My meaning...

I have a suspicion before even using the board, that it is only for driving motors, or a CNC head or filament extruder through the relay port... and not the controlled firing of the laser through the relay port. I'd be using mach3 to hopefully sync port COMs and get it automated through its software(interfacing will be new as well).

It is difficult to be sure based on only a photo, but I can't at least see any laser driving output in the picture.

A couple of notes about driving lasers, especially powerful ones: It is NOT trivial, as lasers are inherently difficult to drive. And there are many types of lasers, from laser diodes to gas lasers and quite exotic technologies. I am personally only slightly familiar with laser diodes. Driving of laser diode requires a very good control system and also feedback from the diode to the control electronics, otherwise it will easily self-destruct.

Another note is that laser light is very dangerous to the eyes, and even an indirect/reflected beam can destroy eyes. The lager the power, the more dangerous they are. Making a cutting-strength device requires so high powers and light intensities, that I wouldn't recommend any home project at all, just for safety reasons! Some reading matter about the industrial standard safety requirements:
https://www.thefabricator.com/article/lasercutting/laser-safety-in-the-industrial-workplace
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laser_safety
**broken link removed**

Safety is real important, but I think I found what I was looking for.

**broken link removed**

**broken link removed**

The photos shown are for the drivers for the motors in the CNC system. There are no specific laser drivers that I can see.

With a laser cutter, you will not use the Z-drive but turn on and off the laser with software.

Status
Not open for further replies.