Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] JDM Programmer 2 can't write data on 16F873A?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

bushygs

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am using JDM Programmer 2, I was able to write and read programme for 16F84A, however when I tried to write data to 16F873A it failed. Using the same PIC I had got it written through paid service and. when the same pic is used in the JDM I was able to read but not able to write or erase the device is not code protected.
The JDM programmer 2 I used is given in the attachment
Any one pls help

JDM Programmer

Check what is the volatge at the MCLR pin and the Vcc PIN while you are writing the device. And too looking at the picture you posted, seems like the JDM is powered from the serial port itself.
Cheers

Re: JDM Programmer

Before writting it is 10V during writting processes it is 4v. yest it is powered from the port itself. do i requirer to raise the volt though the WINPIC software?

JDM Programmer

Yes...i think you got the problem. The Vcc is expected to be exact 5 volt for better performance, and the MCLR has to be atleast 12+ for programming and erasing. If your serial port doesnt supply the same, you may use external supply and trigger it with the JDM circuitry. I friendly recomend to go for PICkit2 clone which is compact, easy to construct, programs much more chips than an average hobbyist expects, and works direcly on the serail port without the need of any extrenal supply.
Cheers.

However I was able to write, Reade and erase pic 16F84 in the same JDM, does 16F873A require a different voltage? pls clarify. Could you pls give the web site link for Pickit2?

JDM Programmer

one of the icd2 pages on the web:
http://www.icd2clone.com/wiki/Main_Page

also better buy a cheap one already made on ebay... around $30

for pickit2 you can find on this forum. just do a search in the field above...

problem with 16f873a can be the timing of the signals which is more precise than on 16f84.
regards,

Thank you for input, which is the best Programmer available in the market to handle PIC 12C...., 16F..., 18F..., Eprome 2cC....and AT...series and ATMEL 89c... etc

bushygs said:
Thank you for input, which is the best Programmer available in the market to handle PIC 12C...., 16F..., 18F..., Eprome 2cC....and AT...series and ATMEL 89c... etc
You cannot get a single programmer for PIC and 89 series unless you go for universal programmer. You'll get PICkit 2 clones for most of the 5volt PIC devices, and 89 series programmers like the ones in THIS webpage.
Cheers

JDM Programmer

Dear bushygs do you have the circuit jdm ? thanks

xtremrex said:
Dear bushygs do you have the circuit jdm ? thanks
As you can see in the OP, you'll get the schematics in www.circuit-projects.com or you may google for "JDM programmer schmetaics" for atleast 300+ results.
Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.