Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Is this a suitable NOSFET/ MOSFET driver combination?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnJohn20

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi there. I am experimenting with designing a pulse induction metal detector. On the benchtop I am using the parallel port of my laptop to send a 0.125ms pulse (every 10ms) into the gate of a N-channel MOSFET (BUK552) which in turn pulses 12V into the search coil.

This worked OK in that I was able to view the voltage decay across the coil once the pulse has finished with my oscilloscope and see how the presence metal near the coil causes the decay curve to lengthen.

So.
1. Is it advisable for me to use a non-inverting mosfet driver between the parallel port output and the MOSFET gate?

2. If so, would the TC4428 1.5A DUAL HIGH-SPEED MOSFET DRIVER be suitable?

3. The BUK552 datasheet says it has a Gate threshold voltage of 2.0V max and an Input capacitance of 600pF max and the TC4428 datasheet says it has "High Capacitive Load Drive Capability 1000 pF in 25 ns"

Will it really take 25ns to turn on the MOSFET?

V across a charging capacitor V = it/C
So t = 0.8ns for the gate capacitance of 600pF to reach the Threshold voltage of 2V with a current from the driver of 1.5 amps

4. Would it be wise to connect the TC4428 inputs together and the outputs together and thus achieve faster switching of the MOSFET?

Thanks.

Last edited:

The gate driver specifications are for driver output voltage with capacitive load, not output rise time of the driven MOSFET. The latter additionally depends on Cdg, output swing and other parameters.

I don't think that ns rise times are essential for your application.

OK FvM. Thank you.

Another thought. Would the MCP1407 driver with a 6.0 amp High Peak Output Current be significantly faster than the TC4428 driver with 1.5 amp capabilities.

OK FvM. Thank you.

Another thought. Would the MCP1407 driver with a 6.0 amp High Peak Output Current be significantly faster than the TC4428 driver with 1.5 amp capabilities.
Depends upon the intrinsic speed of the two drivers and the gate capacitance of the MOSFET be driven.

Status
Not open for further replies.