Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Is my parasitic extraction process ok?

Status
Not open for further replies.

manish12

Advanced Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am new to layout , upto now I am using microwind to make layout.
But recently I am using ADS only Schematic editor for simulation.
Now I have magic and layout editor for making layout.

Imp
“ we are using any layout editor for making mechanical / physical layout
and converted in to spice file / net list file for that layout which is drown in that editor and from that file we go for the simulation “

Is above process is ok ?

Or any missing term in that / totally wrong .

Can anybody tell where I am ?

thanks

Re: Is this right ?

i think the process is ok. but how reliable your layout editor can extract the layout is another issue (parasitic component etc.). If the layout editor that you use can extract the netlist that compatible with the ads i think nothing wrong with that.

-evilguy-

evilguy said:
i think the process is ok. but how reliable your layout editor can extract the layout is another issue (parasitic component etc.). If the layout editor that you use can extract the netlist that compatible with the ads i think nothing wrong with that.

-evilguy-

Parasitic extraction(PEX) is usually done using a different tool. PEX tool may be linked to the layout editor itself. But it is a separate flow tool. The PEX tool uses the gds and the technology files to extract the devices as well as parasitics.
So any layout editor is fine provided it streams out a proper gds. This also means that you have to go for a good third party PEX tool.
The same thing can be applied to schematic editor as well. Simulation is the most important thing there and hence any schematic editor will do as long as it gives an accurate netlist.

hope this helps..

for layout i am using the magic layout editor.
Again , it is new to me.
does this tool has capability to generate all required file for simulation like,
gds,spice / netlist.

thank to all.

srieda said:
evilguy said:

-evilguy-

Parasitic extraction(PEX) is usually done using a different tool. PEX tool may be linked to the layout editor itself. But it is a separate flow tool. The PEX tool uses the gds and the technology files to extract the devices as well as parasitics.
So any layout editor is fine provided it streams out a proper gds. This also means that you have to go for a good third party PEX tool.
The same thing can be applied to schematic editor as well. Simulation is the most important thing there and hence any schematic editor will do as long as it gives an accurate netlist.

hope this helps..
tanner tools has L-EDIT that can extract parasitic capacitance directly from the layout to SPICE netlist. However it only extract node parasitic capacitance with respect to the substrate.

magic can generate to gds. however you might want to refer to the foundry whether they have support for magic software. For layout editor it is essential to have foundry support because you need the setup for all the layers, DRC and others according to the foundry. If the foundry do not have the support for your layout editor, you need to setup the layout editor manually which is time consuming.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back