Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Is it possible to simulate stray charges so we can see the effect of guard ring?

Status
Not open for further replies.

melkord

Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Is it possible to simulate stray charges so we can see the effect of guard ring?

Depending on the nature / source of this charge you may find TCAD tools capable, or not.

Guardrings have multiple uses. They can capture or shunt substrate minority carriers before they wander into the core of a device (or out). They can inhibit field inversion that makes interdevice leakage when charge is trapped in oxide above. The former is handled better by device 2D/3D simulators (basic fields and physics) than the latter - for carriers in bulk Si you just have to get the mesh and the injection / initial distribution, while MOS effects depend on data fitting as response is highly process-variable.

You can use standard TCAD tools - but the problem is a huge size of the area to be simulated, huge mesh size, large memory and simulation time.

There were commercial EDA tools to simulate minority carrier injection effects, but non of them got a good traction with the industry, and I believe none of them are still alive.

Depending on the nature / source of this charge you may find TCAD tools capable, or not.

Guardrings have multiple uses. They can capture or shunt substrate minority carriers before they wander into the core of a device (or out). They can inhibit field inversion that makes interdevice leakage when charge is trapped in oxide above. The former is handled better by device 2D/3D simulators (basic fields and physics) than the latter - for carriers in bulk Si you just have to get the mesh and the injection / initial distribution, while MOS effects depend on data fitting as response is highly process-variable.

You can use standard TCAD tools - but the problem is a huge size of the area to be simulated, huge mesh size, large memory and simulation time.

There were commercial EDA tools to simulate minority carrier injection effects, but non of them got a good traction with the industry, and I believe none of them are still alive.

Thanks for your answers.
I thought it was possible to simulate it with CAD like Cadence.
I did not know that TCAD is required in this simulation.
Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back