Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

is it possible to lower ac voltage?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mighty12

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
is it possible to lower ac voltage for about 20 volts without using a transformer.
for exmple a 240 vac will become 220vac..... i have considered triac
but ive read it is not advisable for electronic devices..

There are many ways by which AC voltage can be dropped for various applications. The design depends on the load you intend to use and its consumption. By the way what is the load that is bieng connected to the dropped AC? Cheers

its for an adapter that has an 12vdc output..... im planning to use it as protection to the adapter.... i have observe that adapters heats up fast when supplied with 240 while its rating is only 220 volts. im afraid it wont last for continuous operation.....

Using a higher quality DC adapter (wide range SMPS) is the most economic solution in this case. Or a transformer, if you have many similar devices.

mighty12 said:
its for an adapter that has an 12vdc output..... im planning to use it as protection to the adapter.... i have observe that adapters heats up fast when supplied with 240 while its rating is only 220 volts. im afraid it wont last for continuous operation.....
Only sub standared quality adaptors overheat. Use the best quality adaptors available. No problems are faced with such supplies. I do agree with FvM's reply. Cheers

I agree too that you should change the adaptor.

MODERATOR - SIGNATURE LINKS ARE NOT ALLOWED

using a transformer for higher loads is the safest way to lower ac voltage...or else for lower loads....you can use a metal film capacitor...

Rachit.

thnx for the replys i think your right ill just look for good quality adaptor thnks guys......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back