Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Is it possible to create a sound on a microchip PIC ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nlouks

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi.

I would like to know firstly if its possible to create a sound on a chip
(not record a sound onto a chip)

I have tried to record a sound onto a chip and play back through amplifiers and can never get a clean sound because the sound is being amplified so much.

Its not possible to clean the sound any further with the limited resources i have, so i figured it may be possible to re-create the sound on the chip itself. :idea:

PLEASE HELP !

Thanks in advance.

Nik.
:D

Hi NIk,

Not quite sure what you mean here. Do you mean real sounds?. The only reasonable way to sounds out of a pic is to pulse one of the port pins at different frequencies using software loops or timers, the faster the pulse train, the higher the tone, the ratio of on/off times also affects the tone. If you mess arount a little you can set different routines to approximate to musical notes, and therefore be able to generate simle tunes, like birthday cards etc. You may need a series resistor and parallel cap to clean up the sound, just experiment. So the basis of all this, is just switching a pin on and off at the right freqency. Any more than this, you really need a sound chip.

Actually, there are other ways. I find the next one quite interesting:

**broken link removed**

Its still just a variable bitstream, but a very neat and brilliant idea. Thanks for pointing this one out, I am sure it will be useful to quite a few people, possibly myself included.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back