Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Can one buy a DB25 pin inverter?

gspahn

Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I need a DB25 converter that mirrors the pinout, so 1 <--> 13, 2 <-->12, 14 <-->25, etc. This is equivalent to a "dumb" gender changer, where the pins just connect straight through. Weldable vacuum feedthroughs like this are exactly what I want, but are very overengineered/overexpensive for my project. Is there anywhere to buy a cheaper version of that product, or am I stuck making a converter box myself? Thanks.

Hi,

Please do an internet search for "DB25 gender changer" on your own. Indeed all of the hits are way cheaper than your choice.

But for sure you may build one on your own. If I had to do it .. I´d maybe use 2 connectors with IDC for a flat cable.
But you also could use the 2x solder type connectors.
It depends on a lot of parameters, mounting method, dust proof, water proof, soldering time, mechanical size ....

Klaus

Hi,

Please do an internet search for "DB25 gender changer" on your own. Indeed all of the hits are way cheaper than your choice.

But for sure you may build one on your own. If I had to do it .. I´d maybe use 2 connectors with IDC for a flat cable.
But you also could use the 2x solder type connectors.
It depends on a lot of parameters, mounting method, dust proof, water proof, soldering time, mechanical size ....

Klaus
I have done many such searches, and every gender changer that I can see online is "smart", in that it correctly deals with the expected pin mirror resulting from changing genders as described by Richard Crowley here. The vacuum feedthrough linked in my first post is different, in that plugging a standard DB25 cable into it would result in pin 1 on one cable becoming connected to pin 13 on the other, etc. That is the effect I'm looking for, and one that is not achieved by any online gender changer I can find.

Last edited:
"Null modem adapters" or cables or "M/M DB25 adapter" are budget priced in any mounting type.
They are called "gender changers" but some would refer to them by some sexual name, but now some use casually he/his or officially M/M connectors ;)
--- Updated ---

Don't get ripped off.

Last edited:
What the OP obviously wants is neither a gender changer (keeping pinout, 1<->2, 2<->2, etc.) nor a nullmodem (redirecting specific pins) but a pinout-mirror, see post #1. I don't think that it's available as single component because it has no useful general purpose. Suggestions how to assemble it have been made.

The shown vacuum feedthrough is a special case, its mirrored pinout isn't created on purpose but can't be avoided.

LaTeX Commands Quick-Menu:

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back