Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Insert exisiting design into a new one

Status
Not open for further replies.

daviddlc

Full Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I have a already designed PCB and want to insert it into a new PCB design

How do you do that ?

Ups, I'm using Eagle.

Thanks for the clarification.

It sort of depends on what you already have. If you have a schematic and PCB and want to add to it, that is easy - simply start a new page and add to it.

If you want to add to the schematic from another schematic, again quite easy - simply cut & paste. Same if you have two PCBs - you can simply cut & paste.

The tricky one is if you have two complete schematics & boards and want to "merge" them.

Maybe you could explain a bit more what you have (PCB/schematic) and what you want to add?

Keith.

I have two board designs, and want to insert or merge into another one.

The board I want to insert is a small modular piece, and I want to insert it on a bigger board.

Is there an easy way to do this ?

Yes, you can simply cut and paste the board. Open the first board. Ensure all layers are turned on. Group select it. "Cut" it. Then close it and open the other board and paste it. Save AS A NEW NAME just in case it isn't what you want - you don't want to overwrite your originals.

Keith.

I followed your steps and when I do the paste, I got a message saying the Paste Buffer is empty.

You select the area ("group")

Click "cut"

The click "go" (instructions should appear at the bottom of the screen)

The load the other PCB - don't shut down Eagle.

Click paste.

I think you may have missed the "go" part.

Keith.

daviddlc

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back