Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

inductive loops for traffic management

Status
Not open for further replies.

thuvu

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi everyone,
I am working on a project fot traffic control management. I want to be able to identify vehicles by their electromagnetic signature. When a car passes over a inductive loop creates a unique waveform. If it passes again I want to compare the waveforms to see if it is the same model.

I have the following info:
The circuit is a LC resonant circuit (LC) with input AC signal (10k-200kHz).
The car changes L and so the resonant frequency Fr.

I have to read the changes in Fr in order to create the waveform.

Does anyone know a circuit like this?

ps. My project will also have a microcontroller for signal processing.

You can try looking for metal detector circuit.
These vehicle loop detector is a metal detector.
You can modified the circuit to provide you the
analog signal output you need for your
digital signal processing.

I like your project.
Sounds very interesting.

www.siongboon.com

Frequency measurement is not so big problem with microcontrollers. You should build look-up table from previous measuremant and than just to check similarity to measured data. I am not sure how much this method will give good results. Maybe you should use some dsp techniques like crosscorelation.

Thank you for your replies but I have a problem with the analog part of the project. Does anyone have a schematic for such a circuit?

If you are interested in a "pure" analog solution, the best is Sarasota 215. Please check US patent 3683351.

thuvu

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Status
Not open for further replies.